Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which version of Memtest86 for my old PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which version of Memtest86 for my old PC?

Hi folks

It's been many years since I last used Memtest86. But recent PC issues (I won't bore you with them) has me doing various tests to try to find the cause.

The old Memtest disc I have is v3.2. Currently got that running and has been for 4+ hours. But looking at the version history that's from way back when. Is it still good enough that I can rely on the results? Or should I download and run a newer version? If so, what would be the best version for me given the specs of my machine? The motherboard is BIOS, but has some kind of UEFI mode **I THINK**.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Max

PS - I've put system details into my bio but not sure if they will display as this is my first post on the forum. I'll be sure to add them if they can't be seen.

On machines that don't support UEFI, download the last release that supports BIOS booting, MemTest86 V4.

Otherwise always use the latest release offered (as of this post, V9.4) on the download page.

Comment

Thank you very much Richard. My board - an Intel DP35DP - sits somewhere in the middle. It's a BIOS board, but in the BIOS, under the Boot menu, there is the option to enable "UEFI Boot". So would enabling that allow me to use the latest version? Or must the board be "native" (if that's the correct term) UEFI?

Ta

Comment

If it claims to be able to do a UEFI boot, then it should be UEFI.
        (but some of the very early UEFI implementations were a bit buggy)

Comment

Yeah, and I think looking at dates that this would indeed be very early UEFI. Perhaps I'll try it anyway just to see. If I do I'll report back in case other people with stone age PCs are interested in the future!

I guess the next question would be how much better is the latest version compared to v4.3.7? I know it's got a better interface etc. Maybe it's quicker? In terms of finding errors in old RAM though, does it offer any benefits?

And one last thing please, I've already done a ten hour test with v3.2. I set it off first thing this morning before I'd read up and learnt what I know now about Memtest86. Being such an old version, should I null and void that test or can I still rely on the results (zero errors)?

Thank you both very much for the great help

Comment

Working...
          X