Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L2 Cache Unknown - Memtest86 v3.2. Plus - test all sticks at once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 Cache Unknown - Memtest86 v3.2. Plus - test all sticks at once?

Hi again

In addition to my other post - but different enough to warranty a separate question I thought - the test is showing L2 Cache: Unknown. Is that to be expected or a sign of a problem?

Other static fields show the following:

2400 Mhz (but no mention of which CPU)
    L1 Cache: 64 39341MB/s
    L2 Cache: Unknown
    Memory:4029M 15685MB/s
    Chipset: -Blank-

Cached: 4029M
    RsvdMem: 130M
    MemMap: e820-Std
    Cache: On
    ECC: Off
    Test: Std

And one more question if I may please? I've got four sticks of RAM. Is there an advantage to testing the separately/individually? Or is it just as effective to have all four sticks tested at the same time?

Many thanks

Max

(System specs in bio - not sure if they will display here from there?)

MemTest86+ (with the plus) is not our software. We develop and support the original MemTest86 software. In any case use the latest release if you can (system supports UEFI) otherwise use V4.

Originally posted by Ofcorsaircan View Post
    I've got four sticks of RAM. Is there an advantage to testing the separately/individually? Or is it just as effective to have all four sticks tested at the same time?
    You can test them all at once. If need be, you can narrow down the faulty stick by halving and retest (test 2 then test 1 to find the stick with the issue). However, sometimes the error may not be with the memory module but perhaps with the motherboard (e.g. particular slot), or incompatibility of the RAM with motherboard or other RAM modules. More troubleshooting info can be found on the following page, MemTest86 - Troubleshooting Memory Errors.

Comment

Thanks again Richard.

Firstly, that was silly of me to say "plus" in the title! I didn't mean plus/+ as in the alternative version of the software! Although I can see why you might have thought I did. What I meant to say in the title was:

"First question - L2 Cache Unknown in Memtest86 v3.2. In addition (i.e. "plus") - can I test all sticks at once?"

In an attempt to write it more briefly though it seems I just confused things!!

Anyhow, thanks for your answer RE testing all RAM at once, etc. That makes perfect sense.

What are your thoughts on "L2 Cache: Unknown", and do the other stats listed above all look ok?

Many thanks and apologies for causing the confusion!

Comment

MemTest86 V3.2 is ancient history from 2004. Not even sure how you found a version that old.

If your machine is so old that it doesn't support UEFI BIOS, then at least used V4.3.7. from 2014. As this was the last release for old style BIOS.

Comment

Working...
        X