v6.0 Hammer Test seems to freeze?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v6.0 Hammer Test seems to freeze?!?

So I was running a full memtest86 scan, and when it got to 96% complete, test 13 (hammer test) seemed to freeze at 20% (there were 0 errors from any of the other tests); it didn't move memory address or pattern at all for over an hour (memory address 0x1100000 - 0xC66CF000, pattern 0x00000000). I rebooted and ran just test 13 again, which seemed to freeze again, but this time at 13%. Rebooted again and tried again with same results (frozen at 13%, memory address 0x1100000 - 0xC66CF000, pattern 0x00000000).

The program itself was still be running as the time continued to increase, the cpu core usage indicator continued to spin and I could still access the menu via c and ESC keys, but there was no movement with memory address or with the pattern.

Is this normal? Should it take over an hour to move from one address range to the next when the first range completed within a few minutes? All the other tests completed relatively quickly, and moved memory addresses fairly quickly as well. Again, there were no errors from any test (including the hammer test), it just seemed to stop testing...

Any help / ideas would be appreciated.

My system is: FX-6300 (O.C. to 4.5 GHz on H80i cooler), Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB kit) DDR3 1600 MHz (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R)
    Running memtest86 v6.0.0 off of a bootable CD; will try bootable thumbdrive in a few min.

There is some chance that the test has disrupted some critical value in the RAM causing a crash. But Test 13 in particular takes a bit longer to complete due to the repeated 'hammering' of the memory addresses. You can tell whether it is actually frozen by looking at whether the CPU 'State' cursor is still rotating.

You can also reduce the test time by running the tests in Parallel mode.

Please post the log file after running from the USB flash drive.

[A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v5 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition]

Comment

Working...
    X