Memtest86 v6 running V4.3.7 instead of V6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 v6 running V4.3.7 instead of V6.0

Downloaded v6 of Memtest86 from Official site, but when run on new build pc Memtest86 shows v4.3.7? PC specs: Asrock Z97 Pro4, i5-4690, 8(2X4)gb RAM. Mobo is UEFI. Don't understand why Memtest is running v4.3.7 and not the new v6. Did I miss something?? Thx

Did I miss something??
    Probably yes.

The MemTest86 download is dual boot. The disc and USB image contain both V4 and V6.
    V6 should be booted if you have UEFI.

In the boot order in BIOS make sure you have the UEFI Flash drive selected (not any drive labelled as just USB).

Also in some BIOSs there is an option for "UEFI Boot", "Legacy Boot" & "Secure boot". The exact text can vary between boards.

So UEFI boot needs to be on.
    Legacy Boot should be off
    Secure boot can be on or off, but on is better (it is more secure as the code signing is checked)

You can also end up booting into V4 if you BIOS doesn't support UEFI. But this recent motherboard that does support UEFI, so this isn't the issue in this case.

Comment

Did I Miss Something?

Thx for the reply. You referred to using a USB flash drive. I burned to, and used, a CD ROM and set the Boot sequence to the DVD drive. I have also re-looked through the BIOS and have no option for UEFI Boot or Legacy Boot. My z97 Pro 4 MOBO indicates it is UEFI and I have done nothing to change that in the BIOS. Still mystified why v6 doesn't boot???

Comment

The option could also be named "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)" which is another name for "Legacy Boot" or "BIOS Boot". CSM must be disabled for MemTest86 to boot in UEFI mode.

Comment

Thx! Disabling CSM worked. Now running v6.

Comment

Working...
          X