What these results tells you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What these results tells you

I am running some tests on my old hp2123 mini due to crashing from nowhere,just freezes and need reboot.

http://s10.postimg.org/th2u32wih/IMG...301_162344.jpg

Here is what i got,passed up to 53% and that was it,software got non responsive to the commands

What does it mean the things you see on
    Thanks

That's a strange looking screen shot.
    There is corruption in the text on the display.

Looking carefully at the display corruption it can be seen that the letters have been translated like this,

r turned into p (in binary, 0111 0010 turned into 111 0000)
    o turned into m (in binary, 0110 1111 turned into 0110 1101)
    n turned into l (in binary, 0110 1110 turned into 0110 1100)
    etc...

In each case this is a 1 bit flip. The actual (15,000) errors reported by MemTest86 also report a 1 bit flip.

So I think there is a real hardware error. The only slightly strange thing is that some of the errors occurred in the video RAM and that no errors occurred before test #8.

Maybe the fault only occurs when the machine it warm / hot (e.g. the internals are full of dust). This would explain why it took until test 8 to report any errors.

Comment

Hello David,
      Thanks for the reply,machine has been cleaned recently,as far as for getting hot and the video jam concern,Im not so sure about it,sometimes it freezes before it can even load OS,sometimes u can do whatever for 2 hours,I'll see if i find a memory stick around and swap it,even with a smaller one, see what happens then.I will also rub hdd test,just to make sure maybe ill see if i find a video software test as well
      Thanks again

Comment

Swaped to 1gb instead of the original 2gb- still freezes,might be the onboard gpu,I have changed the whole Mb a while ago with another one that Ive ordered on ebay, cant test the hard drive because of the freeze.Any other suggestions?

Comment

I think it is unlikely that the problem is related to the harddrive, just because MemTest86 doesn't use the hard drive but still experience a problem.

I assume that the machine had only 1 stick of RAM in it (and you didn't just remove 1 of 2 sticks to get to 1GB).

So sounds like something serious is wrong with it. If it was a desktop you could try swapping the video card and CPU, but it isn't.

Laptops are hard to fix (in a cost effective manner). Given this machine is now around 7 years old & was a relatively cheap machine to start with, is it worth the money and time to fix it?
          (I did have one of these myself years ago, and they were pretty good, at the time).

Comment

Its not really money related David,its more like i like to pick my brain,dont matter if i spend some money and toss it in the garbage afterwards..you get my point right.Originally the book itself has 2gg single slot,but i switched to 1gb that my brother had purchased long time ago and been laying in drawer.Anyhow thanks for the reply,ill see if i figure something

Comment

Working...
            X