Memtest Test 7 Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest Test 7 Error

Hello everyone, just joined this forum looking for help with Memtest errors.

I have just put together two identical systems for my office. Below are the relevant components of both setups.

- ASRock Z690M Phantom Gaming 4
    - Intel Core i5-12400F
    - SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 1TB
    - CORSAIR SF750 CP-9020186-NA 750 W SFX 80 PLUS PLATINUM
    - NVIDIA T600 - Graphics card
    - OLOy 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model MD4U1636181CHKDA

Whenever I build new systems, I always run memtest to make sure I won't have any future issues. I usually select all 13 tests, with 1 pass. I ran the test on both systems, and one of them passed with no issues, but the other one had three Test 7 errors. I reran Test 7 on this system with 4 passes, and it was returning errors again. I aborted the test during pass 2, since it was already obvious there would just be more errors. Is it likely to be bad memory, or bad motherboard? How concerned should I be?

We have never heard of OLOy RAM before. Seems is it the cheapest available with a inferior warranty, compared to major brands.

Very likely the RAM is bad.

See this page to start with.
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      We have never heard of OLOy RAM before. Seems is it the cheapest available with a inferior warranty, compared to major brands.

Very likely the RAM is bad.

See this page to start with.
      https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Thank you for the response. I have no idea how I ordered the OLOy RAM, I usually order G.Skill, Corsair, etc. I went on newegg, selected certain parameters, and it matched - I did not even look at the brand if my memory serves me right.

That being said, I think I have solved the problem. While both systems are identical, and both running XMP profile, on the system that passed I had the BIOS upgraded from 3.01 to 6.04 prior to running the test. I have then also upgraded the BIOS on the system that has initially failed, and reran the test with 4 passes, and no more errors. There have been several BIOS versions since 3.01, claiming improved memory compatibility, and even Support Intel XMP 3.0 SPEC Rev1.2.

However, I have a question - how common is it to have memory errors until BIOS update? What was likely causing the error, was it incompatibility, or was it most likely the XMP?

Comment

They might have changed the timings or memory voltage levels in newer BIOS. Which might hide / resolve the issue.

I still think there is a weak stick, as single bit flips are almost always bad RAM (and not CPU or motherboard issues). But if there is now no problem, it probably doesn't need to be fixed.

Comment

Thank you David. I guess I will leave it alone for now, and see how the computer works, if there are any issues, I can always replace the ram.

Comment

Working...
          X