Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memtest86 keeps stopping at 16% of Test 13 - Hammering Rows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 keeps stopping at 16% of Test 13 - Hammering Rows.

Hello everyone,

Recently I've been having a problem with my PC freezing when playing only a select few games like Dead Island, and Verdun. I've not had much of a problem with others as of yet. But not only this but it crashes when watching Youtube videos - but only on Google Chrome. It's fine on Internet Explorer and on Firefox.

When it crashes I have to hard reset - The mouse is frozen, gameplay is frozen, and the sound just stops. The system sounds fine, no harsh noise or anything like that. This can happen anywhere between immediately, and over an hour in, but it will ALWAYS happen with those games (but only in game and not in the menu) and on Youtube.

I have tried everything I can possibly think of - I've uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Flash, Shockwave, Google Chrome. I've also updated all my drivers/windows updates. I've resorted to uninstalling my AMD Drivers, and reinstalling the latest versions. It isn't a heat issue, my CPU id'es at around 20-25C and peaks at around 50C, my GPU idles at around 30C and peaks at around 60C very occasionally. I also dusted everything out inside and ouside my PC.

I built the PC myself around April 2013 and I've had no problems until recently when this started happening.

So anyway, I have ended up testing my RAM for faults, but when I am testing with Memtest86 it will go through the whole test and get to Test 13 - Hammering Rows and just stop.

Pass 91%
    Test 16%
    Test 13

Everytime. It just stays there. It hasn't frozen the state keeps going from \ | / - and the time keeps ticking (though it skips a few seconds at a time) but the percentage of the test won't move on. This means I can't complete the test to see if the RAM is faulty.

My PC:

Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    CPU - AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 DirectCU II 2 GB
    PSU - Corsair HX850 850w Gold Power Supply
    Case - CoolerMaster Enforcer

If anyone could give me any guidance on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How long did you wait for?

Compared to the other tests, the row hammer test (Test 13) takes significantly longer to complete due to the amount of 'hammering' required (ie. millions of read operations per row pair) to induce disturbance errors. Even more so if you're running in single CPU mode. The first ~15% of the progress involves initializing the values in memory which is relatively quick. When it begins hammering the rows, the progress rate drops quite significantly.

You can try to reduce the test time by running in parallel CPU mode, or using a reduced memory range.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
      How long did you wait for?

Compared to the other tests, the row hammer test (Test 13) takes significantly longer to complete due to the amount of 'hammering' required (ie. millions of read operations per row pair) to induce disturbance errors. Even more so if you're running in single CPU mode. The first ~15% of the progress involves initializing the values in memory which is relatively quick. When it begins hammering the rows, the progress rate drops quite significantly.

You can try to reduce the test time by running in parallel CPU mode, or using a reduced memory range.
      I have just tried starting a test with Parallel Mode on, and it gets to about 10% of the entire test, which would be about... Test 2/3 in about 10 seconds or less and then my computer automatically resets.

Is this a CPU problem?

Comment

It sounds like it may be a firmware issue with running in parallel mode, so check to see if there are any firmware updates from your vendor.

You can also send us a copy of the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ of your USB drive, and we'll be able to confirm if it's the case of a firmware bug.

Comment

Hi!

I have the same problem the only similarity as i see is same cpu. Look at my specs below.
          My halted at 19%. Manual reboot after 9 hours. see Picture. Is this software related or do we have a hardware issue?
          Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
          AMD FX-8350
          Kingston hyperx Blu 2x8gb 1600 (9905403-559.A00LF)
          XFX R7950
          Corsair M750
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Fil 2015-03-11 17 40 04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	34918

Comment

Was the time still ticking or CPU State cursor still spinning? If so, it is likely that the test is still running as Test 13 takes significantly longer to complete (see above reply).

If the system is frozen, it may be that the row hammering caused some of the bits in memory used by the firmware to flip, causing the system to halt. If you post or send a copy of the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ of your USB drive, we may be able to find some clues in the case that your system has frozen.

Comment

Well I think it was spinning, but i could not use any keyboard commands so I had to reboot to exit memtest. I have to run it again to be sure. Thank you for taking your time!

Comment

Had a similar situation only it happened at 21% on test 13, time kept ticking but no progress after 19 and a half hours
                like the 2 others here, it was on a AMD cpu A8-4500M

Comment

We have fixed the progress bar so that it progresses more linearly, and reduced the test time for Test 13. Please give the following build a try:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-6.0.0.1018.zip

Update: V6.1 is now available with the fix included. So use that release rather than the link above.

Comment

I had the exact same issue Test 13 halting at 16%. Mac Pro 6.1 16G memory. Upgraded processor to E5-2960 V2. I changed the bottom memory start to 0xa00000 and the test ran. Currently running through that memory range now.

Comment

Hi there,

I have a similar problem. A month back I got GTA 5 for PC, it was running all good and then after a month which is 1 week back it all started.

Initially it started with the Display driver not responding and the system freezes and then reboots, comes back on. I browse and then again the same video driver has crashed. That was going on for 3 days or so then i got the BSOD. I really do not know what is happening. I am attaching an image and if someone could help me with this, greatly appreciated.

Specs: Intel core i5 750 2.67Ghz ( no over clock ever )
                      Memory: Transcend DDR3 666Mhz ( 16 Gb in total)
                      G-Card: GTX 480 ( the error was so frequent that I did a fresh install of WIN 7 a day back )
                      PSU : Corsair HX 650
                      HD: Normal SATA 160 gig just for the OS and two 1 TB

I looked online and on toms forum someone said to do a memtest. Alright, so I start it and exactly at the hammer test (13) it was stuck at PASS: 91% and TEST: 16%. I did not bother how long it took. Its been running for 7 hours now and I do see a progress. As of now its at 70% but now I have another problem. The screen is torn and it has streaks across the screen. Up until now there was nothing and it was all good but now all of a sudden this comes up. The temp of the CPU on the memtest page shows as 66C but I do not know if the G-Card is boiling.

Any help please!! Is it the card.. This is my second card.. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150610_183617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	34923
                      The image did get attached but if you can download it, please check it if not do let me know how to put up a bigger one here.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Your screen shot shows you are using V6.0. We have just released V6.1 and the progress bar in test 13 is better. So it doesn't give the visual appearance of being stuck. Also I note from your screen shot that you have already done a complete pass of all the tests and you are on your 2nd pass (2 of 4 in the screen shot).

No ram errors were reported, so while the test isn't 100% fool proof, the main RAM is probably OK.

The video corruption is of obvious concern however. Maybe the video RAM on the video card is bad. You said this was your 2nd video card. What happened to the first card?

Comment

Working...
                        X