MemTest86 does not report module data correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 does not report module data correctly

Just bought a Lenovo ThinkStation S30 and was using MemTest86 v6.0.0 Free, to test the function of four newly purchased memory modules. I was surprised to find that when running in UEFI mode, Memtest86 reports bogus RAM information. In a running test window one sees:

RAM Info : PC3-14200 DDR3 ECC 888MHz / 12-12-12-31 / M393B1K70DH0-C

This is not correct, and shows clock frequency and CL-tRCD-tRP values that the modules don't support. When I examine the reported SPD data, I find values that are not on the memory module data sheet.
    1. I don't think that MemTest86 controls memory clock frequencies or anything else. This is done by the processor or system BIOS. Is this correct?
    2. If (1) is true, will MemTest86 perform it's testing function despite the incorrect reported CL-tRCD-tRP values?
    3. What is going on? Why is this not working correctly?

RAM Module: M393B1K70DH0-CMA, 8GB, Registered, PC3-14900R / DDR3-1866, CL-tRCD-tRP=13-13-13
    Processor: Xeon E5-1620 V2 (Ivy Bridge)
    Chipset: C602

Maybe the data programmed into the SPD data in the RAM stick is wrong.

In answer to the questions,
    1) Correct, MemTest86 only reports on the specs of the RAM. It doesn't modify anything.

2) The clock speed and timing value have no effect on the actual testing.

3) If you want send us the log file. A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v5 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.

Comment

As you suggested, I sent an email with the log file attached. This email is titled: Electronerd Sends Memtest86.log.

I am still confused about what is happening. The SPD data only provides information concerning the capabilities of the module. This information is used by the CPU/BIOS, at boot up, to make decisions concerning what to set the clock frequency and timing parameters to. The information required for MemTest86 to report the current memory clock frequency or timing values is not in the SPD ROM, MemTest86 must somehow query the CPU or BIOS. Is that not true?
      Last edited by electronerd; Apr-03-2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X