Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memtest gives differing errors depending on the slots... Help please!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest gives differing errors depending on the slots... Help please!?

Good evening.

This is a question from someone who although has a relatively good grasp of PCs, does not know the various technical ins and outs of things so please bear with me...

While playing DCS recently I have been experiencing crashes and resulting windows errors reporting a 0x50 codes among others.
    I've tested the gfx card with Furmark and Unigine Valley without issue. The CPU I've tested with Prime95 which does causes crashes with 0x50 codes that I've been told point towards memory issues. Using Memtest86 I get differing results that have left me confused!

I have a i5-3570K 3.4Ghz chip o/c by maker to 4.4Ghz with 8GB Corsair 1666Mhz RAM supplied by 2x 4GB sticks - CM3B4G2C1600L9 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H MoBo.

Memtest reports them as "PC3-12800 DDR3 XMP 800Mhz 9-9-9-24" which confuses me as it says 1600Mhz on the label for each?

In paired slots 1 and 3 (marked DDR_1 and DDR_2 respectively) I get 1 error on Test 13 on each pass. When they are in paired slots 2 and 4 (marked DDR_3 and DDR_4 respectively) I also get one error per pass in Test 13.

When I test both the sticks on their own they both give error-free tests in all slots.

I have just tried putting a stick in each of the first 2 slots that have different colours so presumably are not dual channel compatible - (marked DDR_1 and DDR_3 respectively) and they have run through the test and given no errors whatsoever...

I am therefore completely stumped - is this now pointing towards a hardware error other than with the RAM itself and maybe with the MoBo instead??

My next move is to de-clock it back to default settings and flash the BIOS to a later edition and see if this helps but thought that I'd ask here first as this is the test which is reporting errors.

Sincere thanks in advance for any knowledge that can be passed my way.
    Dave.

Yes, the first step should be to turn off the overclocking.

If you are only getting errors in test 13 see this page,
    http://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Test #13 errors are generally design flaws in the RAM. Rearranging the RAM can provoke or hide the errors as it changes the timings (dual channel to single channel) and change the way the addresses are interleaved.

Comment

Ok, I've returned the BIOS settings to default and am now back at 3.4GHz along with the rest of the default settings.
      Prime95 now runs faultlessly but Memtest is still giving errors in Test 13 on CPU0 (even though I'm running all 4 processors together) when both sticks are in the coloured paired slots.

I've not yet run DCS again but will do shortly to see if I still get the errors now I've turned off the o/c.

I guess the next step if errors persist is to RMA both sticks of RAM as they only give errors when paired up?

Comment

Errors in test 13 might not manifest themselves in real life applications. Its somewhat random.

You might find the machine is now stable enough to used (if you don't overclock it again).

Comment

Working...
        X