Clear All

• EXITMODE expectation

The EXITMODE option states
    Specifies the system behaviour when MemTest86 exits

0 – Reboot the system
    1 – Shutdown the system
    2 – Exit application and return control to UEFI BIOS
    3 – Prompt the user (default)

I am currently running the pro version with option 2.
    What is the expected behavior? I
    was hoping it would continue on to the next boot device as defined by the BIOS boot order, however it instead brings me to the main BIOS configuration menu.

The MemTest86 software doesn't do anything to alter the boot order. So the system should just shut down. But the actual behavior is determined by the UEFI BIOS. So different behavior on different systems is possible.

Comment

Understood that it will not modify the boot order.
      What is the expected behavior in a reboot (0) versus (2) Exit application and return control to UEFI BIOS ?

Comment

Reboot should reboot the machine.

Exit isn't so clear. If you started MemTest86 from the command line shell prompt. You should get the shell prompt back. If MemTest86 was directly launched from a USB boot, many BIOSs seem to return to a boot menu however. The behaviour after exit is controlled by UEFI BIOS. Not by MemTest86.

To be sure, the best thing is to test it on your motherboard.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. Can you point me to the documentation about how to launch from a command line?

Comment

UEFI Shell scripting is really out side of the scope of MemTest86 (mainly because pretty much no one uses UEFI Shell, or even knows that it exists). While it should work, we don't test this.

But MemTest86 is the same as another other UEFI binary. You type in the name of the binary to launch it.
            Typically this is Bootx64.efi for 64bit x86 based hardware.
            (or Bootaa64.efi for ARM based hardware).

Comment

ah ok, I mistook command line to mean something else. Thank you for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
              X