Bits in Error across three runs of Memtest86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits in Error across three runs of Memtest86

I started getting some BSOD's recently indicating memory errors, with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool agreeing there is something wrong with my RAM.

Ram is GSKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-19-19-39 32GB (2x16GB) - https://www.gskill.com/product/165/3...GTZNC-Overview - although the Memtest reports (attached) looks like it has misidentified the modules. I'm running the ram using the default A-XMP profiles.

I put the two sticks through three runs of tests - first with both sticks, then with each stick separately, and got the reports that I've attached to this post.

Reviewing the video posted on https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm there is a little chart shown about 6 minutes in which I'm using to interpret my results as showing I have bad ram? Based on the address range and CPU cores effected it seems like it could also be related to my bios, but based on the low number of bits in error, as well as each stick of ram neatly dividing the bits in error between them I'm leaning more towards the ram being at fault. I unfortunately don't have any other RAM sticks handy that I could test with so I'd either be looking to buy some more, or attempt the RMA process.

Any help interpreting the results, or tips with troubleshooting further would be appreciated.

although the Memtest reports (attached) looks like it has misidentified the modules
    The ID information comes from inside the RAM stick itself (from it's SPD flash memory chip). So very unlikely it is wrong.

That's a huge number of errors in the screen shots. Something is definitely wrong.
    I would blame the RAM, given the nice way that the bits in error line up with the RAM sticks in use. But having two faulty sticks is seems very very unlucky.
    So maybe a compatibility issue. We've seen several recent cases where RAM was fine at stock slower JDEC speeds, but started failing at the higher XMP clock speeds and tighter timings.

So maybe repeat the test without any XMP settings.

Comment

Looks like my confusion with the module names came down to google adding a D into the name when I searched for them (which showed me some 2x8gb ram from gskill instead of the 2x16gb I have).

I tried twice more with XMP off - once with a BIOS downgrade for good measure (I had upgraded the bios at the beginning of last month and my system had immediately BSOD'd upon getting into Windows afterwards, but then no more BSOD's until last week when I first noticed the memory issues) and it seems like the errors are persisting.

I've had the memory since October 2020 so I would've been surprised if the XMP settings were to blame.

Unless you have any other ideas I think I'll probably just have to RMA them.

Cheers!

Comment

If you had some spare RAM to swap them with as a test it would be nice (e.g. from a friends system). Otherwise I guess it is a RMA.

Comment

Working...
        X