Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECC error after v9.3 update with Intel Atom C2000 chipsets

Hi,

We have some tiny systems that are running Intel Atom C2000 chipsets. When we use version 9.3 or newer, 50% of our RAMs fail the test. It randomly shows ECC errors on tests 3, 5, 7, 10, and 13.

However, when we use version 9.2 or older to test the same systems, they don't show any ECC error.
    Also, If we use Memtest86+, they don't have any ECC errors too.

Since I found out version 9.3, there is a Fixes/Enhancements: Improved robustness of ECC error reporting for Intel Atom C2000 chipsets.

I think the issue is related to this change. Please see the below photos for detail. Could you advise if it is a version bug? Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220729_000234086.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	53468Click image for larger version

Name:	test 2 - ver 9.1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	53469Click image for larger version

Name:	20220729_103451_resized.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	642.6 KB
ID:	53470

MemTest86+ (with a plus) isn't our software doesn't support any ECC function as far as we know. So no surprise it doesn't report any ECC errors.

And yes, as you mentioned, we added ECC support for this CPU in V9.3. So no surprise that older releases don't so any ECC corrections.

We aren't aware of any bugs and unless there is some evidence to the contrary we would assume the ECC warnings are real.

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.
      The memtest86 did find some ECC errors with our other system before, but it usually shows the error address where it is. like the photo below
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ecc-memtest86.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	53476
      However, with the Intel Atom C2000 chipsets, most of the ECC errors will show the address as N/A.
      That is why I am not sure if there have real ECC errors or not.

Comment

There are many different hardware mechanisms for the reporting of ECC errors. Machine Check Architecture (MCA), Sideband registers for Intel SoC chipsets, etc...
        It is a bit of a non standard mess where everyone does their own thing. Not all of them record the location of the ECC error.

See this page for more details.
        https://www.memtest86.com/ecc.htm

Comment

I have switched three different brands of new RAMs for testing the same model system, but they all have a similar ECC error issue.
          Besides the ECC error, all the RAMs are performing well without any issues. I don't know if I should ignore the ECC error or not.

Comment

Send us a log and we can take a look.
            Preferably two logs, from two different RAM vendors.

See this page for logging details.
            https://www.memtest86.com/tech_debug-logs.html

Comment

Working...
            X