Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest on Mac retina questions

Hi,

I downloaded memtest 6.1 and created a usb2 key with an old key I had lying around.

During bootup, it took forever to display anything.

It finally came up with a menu with 2 choices, then the standard screen with the icons down the left side of the screen.

I started the test, and the screen went black - similar to the boot up experience.

The Fans kicked in, so it sounds like it was doing the test, but there was nothing on the screen.

Is this how it's supposed to work on a retina macbook pro?

The model I have is the mid 2015 15" retina with the R9 M370X graphics card/Intel Iris Pro.
    (This model was just recently released)

- Jack

If possible could you repeat the process with a different USB drive. Maybe it was an issue with the drive.

If you see the same issue with different USB flash drive, can you send us the log file.

A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v5 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.

Comment

Quick question, looking at the USB drive, I see a syslinux folder, in there is a syslynux.cfg file and a boot.txt. It looks as if I am supposed to see some kind of menu when I boot.
      I don't see any kind of text at this point, and the TIMEOUT 60 would explain why it takes forever to appear to do anything.

Could the issue be with the isolinux.bin not supporting the retina display/graphics card in my mac?
      I do see the text file and it appears something is happening, though I don't see traces of any actual memory test, I'll try again and send you the log file.

Comment

Just an update on the issue. We determined it was a compatibility issue with Mac's EFI firmware requiring explicit calls to switch from console and graphics mode. We were able to compile a new build with this workaround on Mac systems.

The build with the workaround can be downloaded here:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest8...6.1.0.1004.zip

This fix will be also be included in the next patch release on the MemTest86 web site.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
          Just an update on the issue. We determined it was a compatibility issue with Mac's EFI firmware requiring explicit calls to switch from console and graphics mode. We were able to compile a new build with this workaround on Mac systems.

The build with the workaround can be downloaded here:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest8...6.1.0.1004.zip

This fix will be also be included in the next patch release on the MemTest86 web site.
          Hello,

I have the same problem with v6.01 on a 27" 2010 2.93Ghz i7 iMac with Mac OS X 10.6.8 except using the iso file on DVD. When I try to start the test screen goes black and nothing seems to happen. Also have trouble with the DVD as it does not start up consistently; have to try more than once to get memtest86 to load.

So I tried the updated usb version. Unfortunately, my computer will not boot from the usb key, neither the updated or the original v6.01.

Can you please update the iso file also?

Also, the update only includes info on creating a usb for Windows. Please include info for Mac also. I had to use the instructions from the original v6.01.

Comment

Please give this ISO tarball build a try:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest8...0b.0003.tar.gz

Comment

Working...
            X