Memtest Version 10 Core limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest Version 10 Core limit?

I have an Intel R2208WFTZSR system with dual 6230R CPUs and 768GB RAM (12 x 64GB DDR ECC Registered 3200MHz)

The issue I have is that memtest will not load stopping at the "Testing Multiprocessor Support" with everything on default ; this is each CPU with 26 cores + HT meaning memtest should detect 104 CPUs , I can blacklist the motherboard and this works fine.

This is however a step back as version 9.4 works just fine; in this system version 9.4 detects 16 CPUs and activates 8

Trying to figure out what is going on I started disabling by HT and then limiting the cores; it seems that anything above 23 cores per CPU for 46 total causes the hang, dropping to 22 core per CPU for 44 total works just fine.
    I've uploaded logs from the runs with 46 and 44 cores so you can compare the differences.
    Attached Files

MemTest86 supports up to 16 cores in the Free version and 512 for the Pro version. Note: The Free version will still work on higher core count CPUs, but will only use the first 16 cores.
    (Note however that some UEFI BIOSs only support single threaded code. Microsoft's Surface Pro ARM laptop is a well known example).

We'll take a look at the logs. At a quick glance both the logs show that the BIOS failed the multi-threaded test. Which is somewhat common.

Comment

Originally posted by srw1973 View Post
      This is however a step back as version 9.4 works just fine; in this system version 9.4 detects 16 CPUs and activates 8
      Thanks for the logs. If possible, can you also send a copy of the 9.4 logs.

Comment

I will look at getting the pro version and see if this changes anything.

Attached is the log from the start of a 9.4 free run on the same server.
        Attached Files

Comment

10 Pro works fine; detects 104 CPUs and runs on 52 CPUs

I've attached the log from that as it may help understand why the free version is not starting.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the logs.

We fixed a bug related to the maximum number of cores in V10.0 Free version (16).

Can you give this build a try:
            https://www.passmark.com/temp/memtes...-10.0.1003.zip

Comment

That fixes the startup problem but doesn't actually run any tests, the tests shoot past quickly and then it shows pass, log shows tests were aborted but it is not clear to me why.

I've attached the log
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the logs.

We made a few more fixes related to the max # of CPUs. Can you give this build a try:

https://www.passmark.com/temp/memtes...-10.0.1004.zip

Comment

That appears to be working so far, detected the correct number of CPUs and running on 8 of them, takes about a day to run 4 passes so will update if there are any issues.

Comment

takes about a day to run 4 passes
                    Having 768GB of RAM will do that

Comment

That was a server with "only" 192GB RAM ; the one with 768GB takes around 27 hours per pass!

All was good with that version of memtest.

Comment

Working...
                      X