Blank screen when running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank screen when running

Hi, memtest86 seems to boot fine from USB on my Dell XPS 15 (9510). However as soon as I start a test, the screen goes blank. I left it overnight, then checked the logs - it was actually running, just with nothing on the screen. However I can't see that the logs record the results of anything - how can I tell whether there are faults if the screen is blank?

Thanks!

There have been a few Dell machines with UEFI bugs like this.

You can collect the log using the details here
    https://www.memtest86.com/tech_debug-logs.html

Can you then post the log file.

Comment

Thanks, here you go!
      Attached Files

Comment

Code:
        2022-10-17 04:42:28 - Current CPU temperature: 95C
        2022-10-17 05:18:21 - MtSupportRunAllTests - Test execution time: 624.806s (Test 10 cumulative error count: 0)
        So there was no memory errors during the test.
        Temperature for the CPU was rather hot at times considering it was just running a memory test.

We'll have a look at the black screen issue.

Comment

Thanks! These del laptops do run hot, I've had a couple and they've all been the same unfortunately.

Comment

Can you try adding this line to the blacklist.cfg file.
            (this is a work-around for machines with a UEFI BIOS bug that doesn't allow them to change screen resolution)

"01V4T3",ALL,EXACT,FIXED_SCREENRES

Comment

That fixes the issue of the screen being blank during testing. There is a minor issue in that the text all becomes extremely small on the 15" 4k panel, but it's fine with a bit of squinting!

Comment

Small text is a side effect of not being able to change the video resolution. Could report it to Dell, but I don't think they would care.

Comment

Agreed, thanks for the workaround!

Comment

Working...
                  X