Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Require assistance to prepare further tests/ possible replacement of RAM

Hey there,
    as the title goes I kindly request your assistance in a matter. I've done a test with MemTest86; I'm using the free version, it's unclear to me whether this allows me or allows me not to save a test results *.html. Either way I can't find one.
    Right now I can't run another test or access the affected system either but in order to prepare for further steps I ask for your help in interpreting the following data:

I have 16 GB of RAM installed (1-1-1-1).

Lowest Error Address: 513MB
    Highest Error Address: 13940MB
    Bits in Error Mask: [zeroes left out]2324182
    Bits in Error: Total 8 Min 0 Max 1 Avg 1
    Max Contiguous Error: 1
    Errors: 20

The errors were found in test 13 and test 13 only.

I did not notice any strange behaviour on my computer, save this: Paint Shop Pro has a habit of crashing with various memory-related error codes. I have not witnessed any kind of data corruption or data loss, or any bluescreens for that matter.

What I need to know is this in particular: Does this wide error address margin indicate that anything between 513 and 13940 might be corrupted, or that (in a layman's terms) it might be only the "surroundings" of these two addresses which are corrupted?

Thanks in advance!

As you are getting errors in the Row Hammer test, see this page to start with,
    Why am I only getting errors during Test 13 Hammer Test?

Then see this discussion on Row Hammer errors.

If your problems are limited to Paint Shop Pro, then it is probably just a garden variety software bug in Paint Shop Pro.

Row hammer errors aren't typically an error in a single RAM cell. It is a design flaw that effects the entire stick of RAM. So a wide range of error addresses is to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      As you are getting errors in the Row Hammer test, see this page to start with,
      Why am I only getting errors during Test 13 Hammer Test?

Then see this discussion on Row Hammer errors.

If your problems are limited to Paint Shop Pro, then it is probably just a garden variety software bug in Paint Shop Pro.

Row hammer errors aren't typically an error in a single RAM cell. It is a design flaw that effects the entire stick of RAM. So a wide range of error addresses it to be expected.
      Thank you kindly for your swift response. I hope I may ask you to elaborate on two things I didn't fully understand, perhaps due to my lacking English skills:

- So, errors detected via the row hammer test are more like design flaws? Can they result in hardware damage too or only potentially in software problems (i.e. data loss, crc errors etc.)? I'm asking because the latter is the impression I'm getting by your recommendations; it seems this is the only kind of error a user is told they could live with it if they wanted.

- Did I understand right it is not possible to narrow down the search by the affected modules via the address in concern (i.e. by assuming that because 513 is a low address it would be governed by module one)?

Thanks again!

Comment

errors detected via the row hammer test are more like design flaws?
        Yes.

Can they result in hardware damage
        Not directly.

user is told they could live with it if they wanted
        Yes in many cases you can live with it. But if this was a computer used in medical equipment or flying an aircraft, I wouldn't be living with it. It isn't an acceptable risk given the cheap price of RAM.

it is not possible to narrow down the search by the affected modules via the address in concern (i.e. by assuming that because 513 is a low address it would be governed by module one)?
        Addresses are interleaved and the interleave method varies depends on the CPU & motherboard. So there is no generalised method to translate the memory address to the physical module.

Comment

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Comment

Working...
          X