FYI: Asus Z690 motherboard BIOS update fixed v10 DDR5 SPD detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: Asus Z690 motherboard BIOS update fixed v10 DDR5 SPD detection

Hey all! Just wanted to share an observation.

Asus Prime Z690-A motherboard user here, been using MemTest86 v10 Pro since it was released a few weeks back (not the v9.4 free version that comes pre-loaded in Asus BIOS).

I've been running stability tests on multiple Corsair and GSkill DDR5 matched sets, and v10 Pro never properly detected the BIOS configured RAM speed. It would always show DDR5 4800 (the default SPD profile) no matter what I had configured in my bios settings. Another mystery was that the RAM temp always displayed N/A.

Well, this morning I flashed my Z690-A from BIOS v2004 to v2103 (see https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/)

PRIME Z690-A BIOS 2103
    1. Improve system overclocking stability on 13th Gen Intel Processors
    2. Update Microcode for 13th Gen Intel Processors
    3. Update Microcode for 12th Gen Intel Processors
    ...and magically I now see the BIOS configured PC5-48000 DDR5 6000MHz speeds showing up in "RAM Info" and the RAM Temp is now displaying properly. Whoo hoo!

No idea what changed under the covers, but I'm assuming it is related to the ASUS BIOS update, which seemed to include an Intel provided Microcode update for the CPU itself.

So fair warning: if you're seeing misreported DDR5 numbers in MemTest86 compared to what you've got configured in your BIOS settings, a BIOS update may just resolve that for you.

Hope this helps some poor bastard out there besides me!

Click image for larger version  Name:	memtest86-v10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.1 KB ID:	53690
    Last edited by JonInVA; Oct-20-2022, 04:47 PM.
Working...
X