help interpreting MemTest result.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help interpreting MemTest result.

I have an imac that has been restarting by itself for some time.
    Sometimes while I'm working on it, other times when it's on screensaver, and it's also happened that it restarts during shutdown.
    My imac's panic report mentions memory in almost every report.
    So I thought it would be an idea to test the memory.
    After running MemTest86 there was a flood of errors.
    I hope there is someone who can shed some light on the result.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis.​

Likely the memory is faulty, refer to the following page for help troubleshooting:
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Simon (PassMark) View Post
      Likely the memory is faulty, refer to the following page for help troubleshooting:
      https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm
      Hi Simon,
      I do have another one question related to this html results.

so if I have expected value(0000 0000) and actual value(0001 0000) in hex format, and the rest test results are lil similar to this case which has 1 bit(in binary) different.

Then I XOR the expected and actual value, invert it(for DQ position)and turn it into binary, the XOR bit position is 16 which from my understanding represents DQ16 has problem.

Does that mean DQ16 on DIMM module is the failure? I’m not sure if I’m right on this one.

Comment

Memory address decoding is hard (this is the process of mapping a bad memory address and bits in error to a specific RAM module and chip). And it is different for each generation of CPUs and each RAM setup (dual rank, single rank, x8 / x 16 bank ground, single channel / multiple channels, DDR4/5, etc..). So I don't want to generalise.

We are working on this at the moment for specific systems. This address decoding page has some details and we will be doing a V10.1 release in the next week to enable some DDR4 and SODIMM decoding.

Comment

Working...
        X