Various symbols in MemTest86 "State:" bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various symbols in MemTest86 "State:" bar

I am running MemTest86 to check RAM overclocking. So far there are no errors, but in the "State" indicator which usually shows alternating characters W D \ - / |, one column occassionally displays other charcters like ÿ d % 1 and some kind of "DE" symbol inside a box, can't even find this in unicode. Is this normal?

The state indicator should only display the predefined characters corresponding to the current activity of each processor core. "W" for an enabled but currently waiting core, "D" for disabled core and rotating (propeller effect) for a core actively reading / writing values.

These irregular values could be caused by memory corruption due to overclocking but it is difficult to say for certain.

If there is any more information you could provide as to when these characters appear, we would appreciate it.

Does it also happen if you run the RAM at basic default JEDEC speeds?

Comment

The system is running at stock settings and all temperatures are well within limits.
      It happens right from the beginning of the test with RAM at stock JDEC settings. I tried two different DDR5 kits, 2x16 GB Patriot 4800 and 2x16 GB Kingston 6400. It also happens when only one kit is installed.
      I uploaded a video since I can't upload mp4 here: https://we.tl/t-GMiMGBzKWd
      See State indicator under CPU "G". It always only happens in that particular column.
      I only ran MemTest86 for about 2 hours so far without errors and I also ran various other RAM/system stress tests with no errors. I downloaded MemTest86 again and installed it to a different flash disk, same behavior.​

edit: I may add that I used Win 10 normally in the meantime.
      edit 2: the weird symbols appear most often when the test just started. In later tests, they appear less regularly and the normal symbols for that core are more permanent.
      edit 3: since there seem to be problems with certain mainboards when running multi-CPU: mine is not on that list (ASRock Z790 PG Lightning). The symbols appear both in single CPU and in parallel CPU modes.
      Last edited by stallsnapflip; Dec-08-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Might already be fixed in the next release (10.1, to be released in a few days). There was a bug when total CPU threads exceed the maximum supported in the Free version (16).

Can you give this build a try:
        https://www.passmark.com/temp/memtes...-10.1.0009.zip
        (note that this build doesn't support secure boot yet as we are waiting on Microsoft to sign it).

Comment

Thank you, that did the trick!

Comment

Working...
          X