Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest 6.1 Pro and MemTest 5.01 different results on Data move 7 test

Hello Dave,

I am testing suspected defective DDR3 DIMMS : 1600MHz Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0. Producing memory managment related BSODs A number of these DIMMS are showing errors in Memtest 5.01 ( org) running Test 7 (BlockMove). Typical we have to run the test for 48hrs plus for the errors to start occuring. I found that when only running Test 7 the block move, the errors start appearing after a few hours versus 48+ hours when I select all tests

After testing about 10 Dimms I have found that on the same computer and bios settings and version, Memtest 5.01 will find more errors than Memtest Pro 6.1

Using the same Dimm where multiple errors were found in Test 7 with MemTest 6.1 Pro no errors are found running test 7.

Based on your knowledge, what test in Memtest 6.1 Pro is(are) the functional equivalent of Test 7 block move from 5.01?

The older Memtest 5.01 has run fine on other Dimms with Test 7 so I do not think Memtest 5.01 is reporting false errors.

I am now thinking that running memory tests from an UEFI as opposed to legacy Bios might change the out come of certain test's. For example I was wondering of less memory gets tested under a UEFI as I assume the OS and software foot print is larger than in BIOS mode, ie does Memtest pro 6.1 test the regions of ram in resides in ?

I'm not sure how you added them, but the links to the attachments are not working. So I can't see what I assume are screen shots?

MemTest86+ V5 Test 7 block move, is similar to Test 6 in MemTest86 V6.1 (not test 7, the numbering is different between the two packages).

Yes, UEFI will have a different memory map compared to BIOS. So slightly different blocks of RAM might be available for testing (or flagged as in use).

There are however known bugs in the MemTest86+ V5.01 software in Test 7. Here is another post detailing bugs in Test #7. You could try and contact the MemTest86+ developer, but it seems it is no longer being maintained.

We fixed this bug in the official MemTest86 software a long time back.

So it isn't conclusive that all your RAM sticks are bad.

Comment

Working...
    X