Enhancement request - Pass/Test colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhancement request - Pass/Test colors

During a test, the "Pass" (dark green) and "Test" (dark orange) progress lines are pretty dim. I often find myself having to get closer to the screen to read them.

In contrast (excuse the pun), the white text is easy to read from far away.

Would it be possible to change the "Pass" and "Test" lines to use slightly brighter shades of green and orange in a future release?

I've seen them on a bunch of screens. The colours don't seem that bad.
    RGB values are
    0, 152 , 0 (so a mid green)
    152, 152, 0 (so a mid yellow)

Maybe it is your monitor?

Comment

I think it's more likely the graphics output device.

FWIW, both systems I've been testing are Supermicro boards. One uses the ASPEED AST2500 BMC, the other uses the newer AST2600.

I'm primarily viewing these tests via a browser-based IPMI console (accessed from the same system & browser). However, I've had both systems connected to a monitor (using the BMC's VGA out) and they looked the same there.

See below for a comparison of what I'm seeing vs the 2 colors you spec'd. These screenshots are from the browser-based IPMI console. Note that the whites are brigher on the EPYC screenshot. I'm guessing there's a difference in the BMC firmware that is causing that.

Anyway, it's probably a Supermicro/ASPEED thing but thought I'd mention it because the white text and green box are so much more visible in both cases.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Color comparison.png
Views:	134
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	54168

Comment

Here's the same screen we captured on a VM

Name:	MT-Colours.png
Views:	162
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	54178

And a random photo I found on twitter.

Name:	MT-Colours-twitter.png
Views:	125
Size:	899.7 KB
ID:	54179
        And another random photo from the internet

Name:	MT-Colours-twitter2.png
Views:	135
Size:	663.3 KB
ID:	54180

So I agree there is something funky going on there. We've got yellow-ish, blue-ish and orange-ish text where it all should be the same colour.
        Let me check the code a bit more. Maybe the colour changes in some conditions.

Comment

It's interesting that the green block at the top left plus the white text everywhere seem to be fairly consistent while the "Test" line diverges wildly in color.

Comment

Originally posted by lunadesign View Post
            I think it's more likely the graphics output device.
            FWIW, both systems I've been testing are Supermicro boards. One uses the ASPEED AST2500 BMC, the other uses the newer AST2600.
            Confirm for ASPEED 2400 on X10 Supermicro boards and Aspeed 2300 (E3C226D2I) - https://forums.passmark.com/memtest8...4-bugs-in-10-2
            Last edited by dma-adm; Jan-18-2023, 04:52 AM.

Comment

So it seems that this colour isn't really constant in the code. It takes UEFI default value. But this default value seems to vary on different machines.
              We'll hard code it to a specific colour for the next release.

Comment

Working...
              X