Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECC errors on Supermicro X11SSL-F motherboard

Hi,

I ran memtest86 (free) and did 4 passes. I thought I saved the HTML report but I can't find it on the USB stick, however the end result was technically a pass but there were reported ECC errors that were corrected. I've attached pictures I took of the results.

However my OS (TrueNAS 13) reports that there are uncorrectable ECC errors. It also reports that the errors are coming from all 4 slots.​

computer specs
    1. Supermicro X11SSL-F Intel DDR4
    2. 4*16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMMs
    3. Intel Pentium G4600 (CPU supports ECC)

So I have a couple of questions.
    Are the errors getting corrected or not? Were the errors TrueNAS got just so bad that even ECC couldn't fix it?
    What could be causing this? The RAM, motherboard or CPU? Is there anyway to narrow it down?

That's a lot of RAM for a NAS.

ECC errors found by MemTest86 were correctable. But it is generally a bad sign to get even correctable errors.

Can't really comment on TrueNAS. I assume it's report is also correct, but don't really know.

Start with this page
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm
    (e.g. run with half the RAM installed).

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      That's a lot of RAM for a NAS.
      No. :]
      For TrueNAS 64Gb is normal. It uses ZFS and requires 16GB of memory as the absolute minimum. 64Gb is ok for home use.

wling​, have you updated mb BIOS and BMC firmware to latest? This is first to do.
      Try running memtest with only one DIMM installed for 2-3 times to check all you DIMMs. Than run memtest for paired DIMMs to check whether this errors caused by mb, may me because of dual-channel mode.
      Are all DIMMs are similar?

Comment

ZFS and requires 16GB of memory as the absolute minimum
        This is just folklore.
        1GB is enough for it to work. Of course more RAM means more is cached. But that is the same for any file system.
        With enough RAM you don't need a on disk file system at all. Just have a RAM disk.

Comment

Working...
        X