Clear CMOS before testing each stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear CMOS before testing each stick?

Hi. I understand it is recommended to clear the motherboard CMOS before using memtest. I'll be testing four 32 GB RAM sticks. Should I clear the CMOS before I test each individual stick? Thanks for any feedback.

There should really be no need to clear CMOS before running a RAM test.

Clearing CMOS is normally only something you would do if the machine doesn't boot into BIOS (and a corrupted BIOS setting is suspected as the cause of the problem).

If you can get to BIOS, and you suspect there is a bad BIOS setting, there is a nearly always a 'reset to default' option in BIOS.

Comment

Thanks, David. In case you wonder where I got this question from, the issue of clearing the CMOS appears in Corsair's guide on running memtest86 to check for RAM faults: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/ar...for-RAM-faults

Comment

Yes, well that is a bit strange.

On their page however it is assumed the user as manually 'tweaked' the CPU settings (e.g. overclocked the CPU or memory bus).

But 99% of users don't mess with these settings. So the message only applies to the 1%, who should know better anyway.

AND, you can use the reset to default option in BIOS to more easily get the same effect.

What Corsair probably don't want is you testing with XMP turned on, as it likely increases the chances of failing the stick and provoking a RMA (refund) . But the RAM should work with XMP on.

Comment

Working...
        X