Latest Memtest taking longer to pass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Memtest taking longer to pass?

I noticed that the 10.2 Build is taking longer to pass compared to 10.0 on the same system. Though i'm not sure if this is really related to the Version of Memtest or if it is generally the case that there are differences in how long it takes to pass?

Shouldn't be any slower / longer.
    Can you post the debug logs from both versions
    https://www.memtest86.com/tech_debug-logs.html

Comment

I now tried using Build 10.0 again and the USB Drive now would give me an error during Image Verification(Installation). It's odd since it is the same USB-Drive i used for 10.2 yesterday (which gave me slower passes). So the USB Drive might just died on me which might be somewhat the cause this. I'm currently running Memtest (10.2) again on another USB Drive and it seems to be (normal) faster this time.
      Last edited by owhat; Mar-01-2023, 10:47 AM.

Comment

There is some logging to the USB drive that takes place during the test. So a bad / slow USB drive can definitely have an impact.
        (and use a USB3 drive in a USB3 port when possible)

Comment

Definite slow down for 10.4 and 10.5 versus 10.0 (haven't checked interim versions).

Here's a specific example with log files: v10.5 takes 2h 10m for a run when v10.0 takes 1h 14m for the same run (Z77 motherboard, Intel i5-3470 CPU, 2x2 GB 1600 MHz DDR3). I attach log files for the two runs.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the logs.

The difference appears to be in v10.0 it is running in parallel mode which should complete the tests much quicker.
            In v10.5, the tests were running in single CPU mode due to failed multiprocessor tests during startup. Single thread will definitely finish the tests longer than multiple threads.

Why this happens for v10.5 rather than v10.0 is unknown but this is more likely to happen for systems with older UEFI BIOS implementations.

Comment

Working...
            X