Memtest 6 (or 4) won't run at overclock speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest 6 (or 4) won't run at overclock speeds

I have a Intel I7 3930K Hex Core Extreme 3.2GHhz CPU overclocked from a ratio of 32 to 44 in a Rampage IV Extreme ROG M/B updated with the very latest available UEFI Bios.

I bought Memtest 6 and it has proved useful in identifying "RowHammer" issues that mean I am about to try someone else's recommended Kingston HyperX (4x8 = 32GB 2400MHz) in place of the Corsair Dominator Platinum that seem to be known to exhibit this problem (albeit only mildly in my case).

The problem I have is that even if I first boot into the Bios and ensure it is running at 4.4GHz, the initial part of booting Memtest from USB (or CD) will be show 4.4GHz on the ROG OC Key On Screen display, but as soon as it actually reads information and puts text on the screen before switching to graphics mode it always switches back down to the base 3.2GHz. Memtest 6 (or 4) ALWAYS runs at this 3.2GHz speed regardless of whether I run a single CPU or all 12 threads.

I have installed Windows7 on this machine and it is 100% stable on Prime95, OCCT and even Intel "Torture Test" when running ALL 12 cores at 4.4GHz, and so I want to be able to force your Memtest program to run at the 4.4GHz O/C in the same way as Windows does.

There is a thread along similar lines entitles "MemTest86 does not seem to utilize Intel Turbo Boost?" but this doesn't answer my problem.

Is it possible to force your Memtest 6 program to use the overclock speed on all cores and threads whilst testing as that would be equivalent to Prime95 testing Memory but much more thoroughly. This has to be possible via UEFI or ACPI which is how Windows must be maintaining the original boot speed.

I attach the log files from a run which I terminated as soon as it started to get the information read from the Bios, rather than letting the test run.

Can you help please?

p.s. (how do you attach .log and .html output files from Memtest directly. Surely it isn't necessary, or even useful, to have to screen grab them to JPEGs first!! ?)Click image for larger version

Name:	MemTest86-Report-20150822-102559-log.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	35235Click image for larger version

Name:	MemTest86-Report-20150822-102559.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	35234
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CharmedQuark; Aug-22-2015, 10:43 AM. Reason: Add Screenshots

Additional screenshots

Additional screenshots
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the screenshots.

We'll need to have a look at the log file. If you are having trouble posting or uploading the log files, you can e-mail it to us.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1833.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	34933Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1834.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	34934Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1836.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	34935Log sent by email (together with an additional run showing RowHammer errors on Dominator Platinum 2400 now replaced by HyperX 2400).

Here are some screenshots showing Memtest running under Windows 7 for an 18 hour run of 12 threads testing 30GB total. Average cpu power is approx. 160 watts in this test vs TDP of 130W. More extreme tests go well over 200W, and your own BurnInTest runs at 195W on CPU Max test only (all at 4.4GHz).

Comment

Working...
        X