Irritated customer - Boots V4 rather than V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritated customer - Boots V4 rather than V6

Today i purchased a copy of memtest86 pro and received my download link email. Upon downloading, extracting the zip file and burning it to a cd, I found that I have been duped. I paid for the newest version- 6.1.0, but the file I received from the server is version 4.3.7.
    I have sent emails to PassMark, but obviously, there is no one working today to rectify this. I feel that I have been duped by a bait and switch scam and am extremely outraged over this. If you are going to sell a product online, at least show some integrity and deliver what the customer pays for. Sure, it is only $39.00 U.S., but the amount is not the issue. Delivering the product that was paid for is the issue.

I am extremely P*ssed.

Your E-mail was received, but it was Sunday night (our time). So it was a few hours before anyone got out of bed to read the E-mail.

I have also moved your post to the MemTest86 forum.

MemTest86 V6 supports dual booting (on UEFI & BIOS machines). On machines that don't support UEFI, the older V4 BIOS release of MemTest86 will be automatically booted.

V5 and V6 of MemTest86 only work on UEFI based machines.

UEFI has been available for around 10 years, but it has only been in the last 5 years that nearly all machines come with UEFI.

So either your machine is old, or it is a new UEFI machine running in "Legacy Boot" mode. (Also called CSM mode). The feature caused a new UEFI machine to emulate an old BIOS boot sequence. But it can be turned off in BIOS.

This page has more details,
    http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm#uefi

Comment

First, I wish to apologize for my accusations. I did not realize that it would default to an earlier version. That was my mistake and looking back, I should have done a bit more research before jumping to conclusions and accusations. Please accept my apology.

This particular board is indeed an older board, AMD phenom quad core, and the board does not support UEFI. I have several boards that do support it, so I am sure I will be able to use the software at it's full potential in the future.

Comment

Working...
      X