No announcement yet.

MemTest86 fails to run on iMac Pro ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 fails to run on iMac Pro ...

I followed the directions for creating a bootable USB image, disabled the Apple boot device restrictions, and can boot from the MemTest86 image. I get a text screen that echos lines that relate to starting up (e.g., reading CPU MSR info, etc.). The last line I see says something about looking at multiprocessor support.

Then, the screen blanks ... there is a pause of several seconds ... and the machine reboots. I think I should see the top-level splash screen shown in the documents, but I don't.

Is this configuration expected to work, or is the graphics setup of the iMac Pro too different?

Does it sound like something that could be cause by a bad USB stick image? That drive is a few years old so perhaps there is bit rot somewhere ...

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Can you post the debug log from MemTest86?

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_debug-logs.html

Comment

I had no idea there was a log ... but it's where the docs pointed. There are two of them - I've attached both. In both instances the end result is the same but the tail of the log is slightly different.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the logs.

Looks like this model Mac has a UEFI firmware bug preventing multi-processing.

Can you try adding the following to the blacklist.cfg file under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive:

Code:
        "Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94",ALL,EXACT,RESTRICT_MP

Comment

Can you try adding the following to the blacklist.cfg file under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive:
          Code:
          "Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94",ALL,EXACT,RESTRICT_MP

I came here to report this same problem, saw this response, followed this suggestion, and Memtest86 10.4 Free runs now.

I have 64 GB to test and only one CPU is active, so the test has a long time left to run, but is running…

Comment

I got busy with other things so I just got around to trying the suggested workaround. I can also confirm that this fixes the restart on startup issue and that MemTest86 appears to run fine. With one pass looking like it would take roughly 4-5 hours, I interrupted the test until I can just let it run overnight.

I will note that this is really only a workaround - some memory errors won't be caught with a single core politely doing it's thing. However, since all I did was upgrade the memory on the system I am only looking for a gross test that the DIMMs are okay.

Thanks!

Comment

I will note that this is really only a workaround
              Correct.

In an ideal world we could report the firmware bug to Apple and they would fix it.
              Unfornately this is not an ideal world & Apple don't care.

Comment

Working...
              X