Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errors in 7th and 7th tests in MemTest86 (DDR5-6000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors in 7th and 7th tests in MemTest86 (DDR5-6000)

Hi! I built a new PC a couple of days ago, here are my specs and HTM file with MemTest results: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...iM?usp=sharing

On the first pass, I got an error in the 7th test on 1st pass:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2023-06-25_15-47-22.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	55343

So I decided to test the memory all night and here are the results: the error in the 8th test on the 4th pass, but no error in the 7th test as at the first testing (although the
    MemTest version is different, can it be related to that?):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2023-06-25_16-31-56.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	55345

To be honest I understand absolutely nothing about it, how bad and critical is it? Is this memory defective and should I try to exchange it under warranty? I haven't experienced any sort of crashes or glitches in Windows yet, but can there be any in the future?

Thank you all so much for your help!
    Attached Files

See this page to start with
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Both of your test runs showed a bit flip on the same bit. So very likely the RAM is bad,

CPU also seems to be running fairly hot. Which isn't too surprising for an i9. But you need to make sure you have really good cooling.

You have 64GB of RAM installed. Which is a lot by historical standards. So you might get lucky and never need to use the bad address. Or it might crash every few hours. Impossible to predict the effect.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      See this page to start with
      https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Both of your test runs showed a bit flip on the same bit. So very likely the RAM is bad,

CPU also seems to be running fairly hot. Which isn't too surprising for an i9. But you need to make sure you have really good cooling.

You have 64GB of RAM installed. Which is a lot by historical standards. So you might get lucky and never need to use the bad address. Or it might crash every few hours. Impossible to predict the effect.
      Thanks for the reply. If the memory is actually bad, that's unfortunate... I was also advised on Reddit to do an OCCT memory test because "I've found memtest86 to throw up false errors with DDR5 platforms". And here is the result of 3 hours of testing - no errors:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	OCCT-23626-043735.png Views:	0 Size:	444.8 KB ID:	55361

What do you think about it? What test results are worth relying on?

As for the CPU cooling, I have a NZXT Kraken Elite 280, but since I have a very compact SFF build in a DAN C4-SFX case, the temperatures are expected rather high and I know it will be. I've undervolted the CPU a bit and put the limits at 85 degrees, so everything should be fine now, performance is still great (about 35000 in Cinebench R23)​
      Last edited by zhiend; Jun-27-2023, 02:32 PM.

Comment

"I've found memtest86 to throw up false errors with DDR5 platforms"
        I think what they really mean is that, rather than address the real problem, it is easier to shoot the messenger and stick my head in the sand.

100% sure your error is real.
        Sometimes errors are caused by bad slots, or bad CPUs, or high temperature, or bad timings, or under voltage, and not the RAM sticks themselves, but that doesn't mean the error isn't a real error.

Comment

Working...
        X