No announcement yet.

Cant pass stage 1 of tests but unsure if its CPU, Motherboard, or RAM related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant pass stage 1 of tests but unsure if its CPU, Motherboard, or RAM related

I had a stop code Memory_management issue take place about 2 weeks ago and found memtest86 when trying to figure out the cause.

At first I thought it was just one stick of ram or perhaps a DIMM slot was messed up. MemTest gave me an all clear on one stick but before I could do any tests on the second my motherboard suddenly was having trouble with the DIMM slots in general as even putting in the one I had already tested did not allow the system to boot. I assumed it was the motherboard and began the process of getting a new one. The replacement arrived but before I took it out I went ahead and double checked the old one. It suddenly booted but still was having clear issues as several of the Q-Led lights on my motherboard would light up saying issue before then eventually turning off after 2-3 minutes and booting fine. Being unsure what this meant I ran Memtest again on the sticks, testing both sticks in my first two DIMM slots as per manufacturer layout. The end results for all four tests were something akin to the following Log results I've attached. I'm about to replace the motherboard and try again but I want to make sure I'm correct in believing the results point towards the motherboard.

System Info:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core
    RAM: G.SKILL FlareX5 DDR5-6000 16x2 AMD EXPO (note that although the log is for only one of the sticks pretty much the same results happens when i have either of them or even both in any of the two primary DIMM slots)

Attached Files

Log had lots of errors like this
    [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 1, CPU: 0, Address: 437FF0AA0, Expected: 0000000437FF0AA0, Actual: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So this isn't normal. and there is a fault of some type. Getting all FFFFFFF's isn't a typical RAM failure, but can't totally rule it out. Given that you have tried two RAM sticks and they were both bad, I would guess CPU is the next thing to try.

Before you give up on the motherboard I would try and run the RAM at a lower clocks speed and see if there is a BIOS upgrade available.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Log had lots of errors like this
      [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 1, CPU: 0, Address: 437FF0AA0, Expected: 0000000437FF0AA0, Actual: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So this isn't normal. and there is a fault of some type. Getting all FFFFFFF's isn't a typical RAM failure, but can't totally rule it out. Given that you have tried two RAM sticks and they were both bad, I would guess CPU is the next thing to try.

Before you give up on the motherboard I would try and run the RAM at a lower clocks speed and see if there is a BIOS upgrade available.
      Since I already have the motherboard and started the refit I'll try these changes on the new one. Got the motherboard free via Warranty and since it also had a dead 3.0 usb im okay with that change. I assume doing these tests with the new one shouldn't mess with the results?

Comment

Motherboard switched caused the next MemTest to have 0 issues although i am seeing the Q-Led for the CPU and Ram flash and then go off during launch. Here was the most recent test results. So I guess it really was the Motherboard?
        Attached Files

Comment

Yep. If it works, don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X