Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

192GB on z790. 1 error only over 4 passes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 192GB on z790. 1 error only over 4 passes ?

Hello everyone,

I'm building a rig for video edit/grading.

I updated the asus z790 creator to the latest bios version 1203 with 13900k. Plugged the 4x48 ram on the qvl list. Boot went smoothly.
    I selected xmp 1 to run the thing at 5200MTs like advertised by asus and corsair. Nothing else was done.

I ran memtest 10.5 from a usb stick.It took 32 hours and revealed only 1 error (pass 2 test. The cpu clocked at 3028Mhz (stock).
    See image.

Now the result said to run in parrallel mode. So I launched a new test only with test 8 and 13 in parrallel mode. No errors were found.

1/ Should I be worried about that one error ? Should I up the voltage of my ram and redo a 32 hours test ?

2/ I started running the memtest embedded in the bios (10). The cpu clocked around 5500Mhz (Turbo mode). The cache speed were a bit higher too.
    Shouldn't I run this one instead ?

3/ Ram speed (5200MTs) is displayed in memtest as 192G 24.3 GB/s. Is it typical ? Good ? Slow ?

Thanks a bunch for your attention

48GB RAM sticks! First time I have seen a machine like that. Normally they are a power of 2.

Looks like a real bit flip. Which isn't good.
    It is possible it is what's known as a "Soft error", but hard to know without repeating the test a few times. A 2nd occurrence of the error on the same bit & address would rule out a random soft error.

MemTest86 version in ASUS BIOS is the same one as the free version on our web site, www.memtest86.com, it isn't customized for ASUS. But depending on the BIOS release it might be slightly older than what is on our web site.

Ram speed (5200MTs) is displayed in memtest as 192G 24.3 GB/s
    Sounds reasonable.

Comment

Thank you !

This is this ram.kit : CMK192GX5M4B5200C38

https://www.corsair.com/fr/fr/p/memo...2gx5m4b5200c38

The only one on the qvl list of the mobo. I know it is a stretch to have so much stable ram on 4 sticks with ddr5 but it's been done before it seems.

- I tried to up the voltage of ram to 1.26 (instead of 1.25) but it did not boot.

- The bios reseted itself at new power on. I put on xmp 1 again and launched a new test but with the mobo version of memtest ans in parrallel mode as suggested by the softwarr. I guess I'll know more in 30 hours or so...

Ah and the mobo memtest is displaying the cpu in turbomode, around 5500Mhz still.

If I were to have the same error, it would necessarily incriminate a Ram module or switching to a lower speed (5076 is offered) could do the trick ?

Many thanks.

Comment

I tried to up the voltage of ram to 1.26 (instead of 1.25) but it did not boot.
        Seems very sensitive. One would think it would be fine bumping up the voltage less than 1%.

I guess I'll know more in 30 hours or so...
        Should be quicker in parallel mode. But 192GB is a lot of ram......

If I were to have the same error, it would necessarily incriminate a Ram module or switching to a lower speed (5076 is offered) could do the trick ?
        Yes, one module would likely have a weak cell. But impossible to know without more testing if lowering speed would fix it.

Comment

Yesterday evenning the computer had passed pass 3 and was still working. This morning the screen displays no video.

I see now when I launch a test and just turn the screen off and on again, I don't have video.

I don't see any log of the previous test so I don't know if it passed, if the no video screen is due to bad memory or hardware or just a second split default on the stupid screen...

Comment

Damn I sent another quick test and popped another error. Not the same address as before.

I rebooted and I relaunched a full test with xmp2 instead of xmp1. Crossing fingers.

Comment

I have exactly the same 192GB kit on a Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming Wifi with an i9 13900K (BIOS version 1202).
              First, I used XMP 1 with 5200 MT/s@1.25 V.

3/ Ram speed (5200MTs) is displayed in memtest as 192G 24.3 GB/s. Is it typical ? Good ? Slow ?
              MemTest86 reports a RAM speed of 24.5 GB/s and that's almost the same as yours. So, I would say: Good.

When I tested with MemTest86, it worked without any error (in parallel mode), but I noticed quite high RAM temperatures (> 85 °C) -- properly because of insufficient airflow as I have a complete passive system.
              So, I tried to lower the RAM voltages (BIOS settings "DRAM VDD Voltage" and "DRAM VDDQ Voltage") and I found that 5200 MT/s@1.15 V is stable, i.e. passes 4 times MemTest86 and no crashes whatsoever. RAM temps during MemTest86 are down to 70-75 °C.
              Looks like I had quite a lot of luck in the silicon lottery... (Even 1.13 V seem to be stable -- 1.12 V fail --, but to have a security margin I opted for 1.15 V.)

I see now when I launch a test and just turn the screen off and on again, I don't have video.
              Yes, this is a nuisance that I also encountered for specific iGPU/GPU/monitor combinations.
              So, let your monitor on and/or take a look at the log file. The log file is -- in my experience -- always there even when the video connection gets lost.

Comment

I rebooted and I relaunched a full test with xmp2 instead of xmp1. Crossing fingers.
                Yes, if XMP 1 does not work, try out XMP 2. Good luck!

And, I would not use the outdated MemTest86 that comes with the motherboard.
                I would use the newest MemTest86 10.5 from a USB flash drive.

Additionally, to speed up things, I would turn off Test 13 (Hammer Test).

Comment

Even if the screen is off you a debug log is written to the USB drive. It will list any errors found and also has time stamps, to show if the machine had a total lockup or it was just the video output.
                  https://www.memtest86.com/tech_debug-logs.html

However if the video is off because the entire machine crashed, there will be no debug log.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all your comments.

I think there is no log when using the inboard memtest version if video is lost. So i'll try again with the usb and memtest 10.5, hammer test off.

I never thought of undervolting but why not !
                    Asus has a number they calculate for the silicon lotery in the motherboard. My 13900k is deemed at 101, so not too bad.

Comment

I never thought of undervolting but why not !
                      Asus has a number they calculate for the silicon lotery in the motherboard. My 13900k is deemed at 101, so not too bad.​
                      I doubt that undervolting helps in your case, but you can, of course, try it out. (Why not?)
                      Yes, Asus has the so called SP, but this applies afaik only to the CPU cores, not to the RAM. So, your CPU may be fine, but your RAM not so...
                      Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X