Memtst86 shows wrong CPU speed and memory voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtst86 shows wrong CPU speed and memory voltage

When I start memtst86 the CPU speed that it shows does not match what the BIOS was showing just prior to starting memtst86 (shows 4.7GHz instead of 4.6GHz). The same applies to the memory voltage (shows 1.2V instead of 1.358V).

Running a memory test produces errors, but if memtst86 is really using the settings that it is showing, then errors would be expected.
    What is needed to get the values displayed by memtst86 to agree with the values that I set in the BIOS so I can have confidence in the test results?

ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega (BIOS 3701), Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit 21H1
    Intel Core i9 10980XE 4.6GHZ(all-core)
    VCore: 1.175V, AVX2/512: 0/0, Cache: 3.2GHz/1.175V, VCC SA/IO: 0.95/1.05
    G.Skill Trident-Z F4-4000C18-8GTZKK 64GB (8x8GB, XMP: 4000/1.35V/18-19-19-39)
    380GB Intel Optane 905P SSD (boot), 2TB Intel 660P SSD (data), 8TB WD MyBook (ext backup)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080TI Black Edition and Dell U3011 monitor (30")
    Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W PSU in Silverstone TJ11 case

HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX360, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000rpm 120mm push-pull
    EK Velocity CPU WB, EK XTOP Revo D5 pump
    EK DBay Spin Res, EK fittings & Phobya sensors

MemTest86 never changes the BIOS settings. So it always runs the tests at whatever clock speeds, timings and voltages BIOS is set to.

MemTest86 does attempt to report the current CPU and RAM settings, but it is complex to extract all the details for all possible PC hardware.
    In some cases (and depending on the version of MemTest86) it will report on the RAM capabilities (the hard coded SPD data) rather than the current values in use by the memory controller.

Regardless of the system information reported (wrong or right), it doesn't change the RAM test. So any errors shown are real errors.

The CPU clock speeds for modern CPUs are highly variable. There are many features in the CPU to ramp the clock up and down depending on requirements. 4.7Ghz was probably really what the CPU runs at, for short periods of load.

You didn't mention which version of MemTest86 you are using, but there are many updates to support the correct display of system information.

Comment

Working...
    X