Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

False RAM errors because of a user mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False RAM errors because of a user mistake?

Hi!

I created a bootable USB with the latest free version of Memtest86 and tested RAM on a friend's computer that was giving him problems, there was no errors displayed, until I plugged in another USB stick (in another USB port) during the test. This was during pass 1 - test 7 (inversions), then a ton of errors appared and Memtest86 reported that there are too many errors and ended the tests with big red FAILED message.

Then I shutdown the PC, unplugged the other USB stick and booted into Memtest86 again, did 4 passes and there were no errors at all.

So, my question - was I me that created the errors because I plugged another USB stick into the PC during the test? Or is the RAM bad and that was a coincidence? I didn't have time to retry the scenario, I assumed the RAM was OK The PC is in another city so I can't try again anytime soon. So does anyone know?

Thanks!

Test 6 & 7 are the tests that most commonly produce errors.

So I suspect it was just a timing coincidence.

I guess it isn't impossible that a USB flash drive could provoke RAM errors (e.g. power spike or EMI), but it isn't a common thing.
    There is also a small chance it is some kind of UEFI BIOS bug. Maybe the BIOS ran some background task when the USB drive was inserted and corrupted some RAM.

It isn't really a user mistake. You should be able to insert & remove other USB devices during the test without bad things happening. (You can't remove the USB boot drive however).

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply, it clears a lot. I assume it has to be an UEFI BIOS bug, because there was no errors whatsoever during that 1st incomplete pass and the errors began when I plugged in the 2nd USB. And after repeating the testing, this time for 4 full passes, there were no errors at all. If the PC will act up again, I will re-test the RAM, way more thorougly this time. Hope I won't have to.

Comment

Just for the record in case the problem is reported again, what motherboard was this with? And the BIOS version if you know it.

Comment

ASRock H81M, BIOS v2.00
          https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H81M/index.asp#BIOS

Comment

Working...
          X