Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did memtest86 break my PC? :(

Did I break my PC?

So this is a rather long story, and I'm genuinely very sad about this, but I'll try to keep it short:
    CPU: 7800x3D
    GPU: 7800xt sapphire nitro
    PSU: Corsair 850rmx shift
    Motherboard: B650 Asus Gaming plus wifi
    CPU Cooler: DeepCool AK620
    SSD: Samsung 990 Pro
    Cooling: Arctic P14- 3 frontal Case-Fans, 1 on the rear

So I built my new PC after saving money for months. I flashed the bios, I installed win11, I installed all the drivers, enabled expo, and everything worked fine, smoothly.

Then I was going to run some benchmarks. I wanted to start with memtest86. So I downloaded the tool from their website that prepared the USB-Stick for it and I ran it. I selected the same USB stick that I used for the windows install (I didn't change anything about that USB-Stick yet). The memtest86 tool said that it would delete all the files on the USB-Stick.

When I ran the tool, my PC suddenly froze. I waited and waited, but my PC froze completely, I couldn't even Ctrl+alt+del into task-manager. So I pulled out the USB-stick, and the screen started showing some weird stuff, (as if the GPU was dying or so, parts of the screen were black, parts of it were weird).
    So I...turned off my PC with the PSU button. I turned it on again, and... It did boot, but suddenly many of my windows settings were changed, everything worked slower, FanControl (the open source application) had a weird bug where it wouldn't detect many fans again, citing issues with the fan sensors ("27 fans should be detected, but only found sensors for 22", or something like that. I could be wrong about the numbers tho). Also, the refresh rate of my monitor was changed, and I couldn't even select it in Windows anymore. Before it was 165hz, and now it only let me select 60hz.

So I did a fresh reinstall of windows from a newly prepared USB-Stick, I did format the SSD beforehand, and now... The PC still runs badly

Issues are:
    - Fans randomly go fast while I'm doing next to nothing.
    - When I open HWinfo, the CPU cores all show yellow bars on the left and fluctuate all the time (back then, they were all green bars) and I also noticed that the GPU info about the frequencies and all fluctuates like crazy.
    - And everything works considerably slower on the PC now, like much slower. Before that it was super fast, now everything has a delay.

I'm so mad and sad and I don't know what to do. I saved all my money, and now...this. I won't be able to afford a new PC for another couple years lol.

I think it was co-incidence.
    Memtest86 has been around for 25+ years now. It doesn't changes any system settings. Especially during the install step, where all it does it copy files to a USB drive.

So it think you need to methodically go through the possible issues. Very likely it is something simple to fix.

- Fans ramp up when the machine is hot. So there is a good chance there are high temperatures.
    - High temperatures mean inadequate cooling. e.g. heat sink fell off, fans stopped, forgot to use thermal paste??
    - Poor CPU performance can also be thermal throttling.
    - I would NOT recommend using 3rd party fan control software. These are not tested by the motherboard vendors, so there is a lots of scope for things to not work as expected. Use the BIOS setting instead. Reload BIOS firmware if required.
    - Monitor refresh rate might be because the correct device drivers were not re-installed.
    - I don't know when / why HWinfo displays yellow bars. Best to contact them for details.
    - It is normal for CPU & GPU clock speeds to rapidly change up and down on modern systems. It is for power savings and heat reduction.​

Comment

Working...
    X