Memtest errors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest errors...

So, I have a newly built PC, and I decided to run some tests on it. Here are the specs on my system.

MOBO: Asus Z170-A
    PCU: i7 6700k
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
    RAM: 4X8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666
    Video: EVGA GTX 980 ti
    Storage: Samsung 850-EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD
    Power Supply: EVGA 1000W ATX12v
    Operating Supply: Windows 10 Home

So after having a few issues, I decided to run some tests. One of the tests I ran, was Memtest86 which I booted through USB. After just one pass, I have some errors.

Here is a pic I took

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mem 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	35240

I must admit, I don't know much about memtest86, other than most people use it to test their RAM, but this doesn't look good to me. Are we thinking I have at least 1 bad RAM stick?

Thanks,
    Rylant

Sorry, I should add, that there is zero overclocking of any of the parts in this PC. Everything is stock.

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool didn't find any problem with my RAM; your test is obviously much more thorough.

Thanks
    Last edited by Rylant; Sep-28-2015, 06:49 AM.

Yes, the reported memory errors, are likely to be bad RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Yes, the reported memory errors, are likely to be bad RAM.
      Thanks David. I have 4 sticks of 8 gb ram in this build. What is the easiest way to test it? Keep 2 sticks in and run the memtest to narrow it down, or do 1 stick at a time?

Rylant

Comment

So, I decided to reboot and run the Memtest again overnight. As we sit now, the memtest is through the first 2 passes and part way through the third pass. So far this time since starting the test, it has found zero errors. Is it possible that the first memtest was wrong and my RAM is ok? Or is it more likely that something is wrong with my RAM which the first memtest found, but the second memtest just hasn't found it yet?

I am going to keep the memtest running for the next 12 hours or so while I am at work to see if it finds the errors found in the first test I did.

Rylant

Comment

Are you running MemTest86 v6 (UEFI) or v4 (BIOS)?

In your screenshot, it shows you are running v4 but your motherboard supports UEFI so it should be able to run v6. So it may be good to enable UEFI in the BIOS setup and try running MemTest86 v6 if you haven't done so already.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
            Are you running MemTest86 v6 (UEFI) or v4 (BIOS)?

In your screenshot, it shows you are running v4 but your motherboard supports UEFI so it should be able to run v6. So it may be good to enable UEFI in the BIOS setup and try running MemTest86 v6 if you haven't done so already.
            Thanks Keith. Sadly I don't know as much about the difference between bios and UEFI. Is the UEFI test a better test?

Rylant

Comment

MemTest86 v6 (UEFI) includes many features not available in the older BIOS (v4) version. See this page for details:
              http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm#new

Most of our development efforts to add new features/bug fixes are focused on the UEFI version.

Comment

Thanks Keith. I have run the v6 test and after running all the tests (it took 18 hours for 4 complete passes, is that normal?), everything seems to check out. I have included some pics. There are no errors.

Name:	Mem 3.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	34946

Name:	Mem 4.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	34947

So, my question is, after all of this, should I be concerned with the failed tests that happened when I ran the BIOS (v4) version? This is the same computer with the same RAM and I didn't change anything.

Rylant

Comment

Originally posted by Rylant View Post
                  Thanks Keith. I have run the v6 test and after running all the tests (it took 18 hours for 4 complete passes, is that normal?), everything seems to check out. I have included some pics. There are no errors.
                  The time required to complete memory tests depends on how much RAM you have and whether or not you are running in parallel CPU mode. It is not uncommon to take almost a full day to complete all tests, especially for systems with large amount of RAM and using only 1 CPU.

Originally posted by Rylant View Post
                  So, my question is, after all of this, should I be concerned with the failed tests that happened when I ran the BIOS (v4) version? This is the same computer with the same RAM and I didn't change anything.
                  It is possible that the errors from v4 are due to a buggy BIOS (eg. memory ranges which are reserved or not part of physical RAM are marked as available free memory in the e820 tables). So you can try seeing if there is an updated BIOS available.

If you still suspect you may have defective RAM, you can try testing the RAM on a known good system to see if you get any different results.

Comment

You should be concerned, after experiencing various issues and testing various things, I started questioning whether there is a serious flaw with Z170 or 6700K, or I was extremely unlucky up until now

As a lot of people mention, RAM errors are really easy to detect with memtest after BSOD's

Here's the method I use

Run Prime95 for 30-60 minutes with the middle torture setting (CPU+some-ram one)
                    Reboot + Test the rams immediately, Run the Tests 1-9 as they are faster (run them with parallel CPU's)

I have 2 identical systems, tested this on both (with interchanging the RAM's) - it works wonders in detecting the issue (only one failed consistently, I replaced the RAM's, haven't torture tested them yet)

I suspect the Auto overclocking motherboards might be to blame too, I'm also afraid they cause permanent damage too

They jump the voltages however they want to their liking while you think you are running a stock system

Comment

Working...
                    X