Likely Faulty Kingston 64GB (2*32GB) 4800MT/s DDR5 CL38 SODIMM kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likely Faulty Kingston 64GB (2*32GB) 4800MT/s DDR5 CL38 SODIMM kit

I purchased a Kingston 64GB (2*32GB) 4800MT/s DDR5 CL38 SODIMM kit from Amazon in November.

After installing the RAM, I recently started encountering frequent BSODs, prompting me to run a memtest86 diagnostic to identify the issue. The result showed what looks like serious problem with the memory modules. (Memtest86 found a spectacular number of errors (almost 9,000) within a very short window) I also ran MemTest86 with my stock RAM, which produced no errors...

​Photographs:
    https://imgur.com/lvApYm5
    https://imgur.com/suMryR2

Pastebin for MemTest86-20240120-215851.log:
    https://pastebin.com/2SW6xa46

MemTest86-Report-20240120-215934.html:
    https://mega.nz/file/3hgz0ZLR#10hJZv...TNajclYq8JCUbQ

It seems the culprit is the single bit in error (see the html report).​
    Before I realized the drive was faulty:
    1. I cloned my D drive to another SSD using Macrium (while the faulty RAM was installed) and deleted the original.
    2. I also did a BIOS upgrades while this faulty ram was installed (yikes)
    Both they appear to be working fine as of right now.
    I already took out the faulty RAM modules and replaced them with my stock modules.
    I also ran sfc scannow/dism for my C drive but i don't think it reflects on D drive.

Is there any way I can check for or address possible corruption in either or both my SSD or BIOS?

Yes, RAM is very likely bad.
    But your temps are high. 88C for the CPU and up to 77C for the RAM. MemTest86 also doesn't fully load the CPU, nor the video card. So in real life usage under heavy load it might be worse.

I am betting the RAM was never tested by Kingston at 77C. So the same RAM might work fine in open air at 24C.

> Is there any way I can check for or address possible corruption in either or both my SSD or BIOS?

If you deleted the source SSD, then no, there is no way to check all files.
    There are checksums (CRC) done for disk storage. But they are done by the drive itself. Not by the NTFS file system, which I assume is what you are using. So if you wrote corrupted data to the new SSD, then the data would be corrupted, but the CRCs would be fine, as they would be recreated by the new SSD.

Tools like SFC can be used for a partial check however.
    Many file formats have their own checksums however. e.g. Zip files. And Office documents are also Zip files. So if you were really desperate you could write a script to verify the CRC32 value of Zip files. You could also re-install your apps and Windows itself.

For BIOS you can just install it again. (Or downgrade and upgrade again).

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Yes, RAM is very likely bad.
      But your temps are high. 88C for the CPU and up to 77C for the RAM. MemTest86 also doesn't fully load the CPU, nor the video card. So in real life usage under heavy load it might be worse.

I am betting the RAM was never tested by Kingston at 77C. So the same RAM might work fine in open air at 24C.
      I don't know how I would even get tems to 24C.. this is a laptop (legion 5 pro 16arh7h) are there things I can do to get temps that low?

Even my pc does not have temps that low and that is with a larger more ventilated casing.

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      For BIOS you can just install it again. (Or downgrade and upgrade again).
      Can you provide a brief description of how to do this? also whar are the risks of bricking mobo if i do this​

Comment

Apologies, i cannot seem to edit my reply (apologizing for the double post). what are the dangers of using corrupted data with correct CRCs? In the long run or short run

Comment

are there things I can do to get temps that low?
          Not in a laptop. Heat is the main reason laptops aren't smaller and faster.

Can you provide a brief description of how to do this?
          In your first post you said you already did a BIOS upgrade?

what are the dangers of using corrupted data with correct CRCs
          If data was randomly corrupted, then the consequences would also be random.

Comment

Working...
          X