Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 Continues Run Option

Hello,

I just download that latest version of MemTest86 (free edition), and used the UEFI version. I let it just automatically start it's testing and left my computer alone overnight. I was surprised when I checked in on it when I woke up that it was done. It ran a little over eight hours and passed all it's test without any errors. I must confess, I'm used to using MemTest86+, which will run until you stop it. Is there a continues run option for MemTest86, or is running it till all the test finish appropriate enough? Usually everyone seems to recommend running 24 hours to make sure your memory is alright.

Thanks.

MemTest86 doesn't run indefinitely but you can set the number of passes to a large number (eg. 999) that would probably make MemTest86 run for > 24 hours.

Comment

Well I guess what I'm most interested in is if the default number of passes that MemTest86 does is adequate enough for testing memory. The test took about 8.5 hours, so is this long enough for testing my memory?

Comment

Because the test time depends on a number of factors (like the amount of RAM, CPU, and whether it is running in parallel mode or not), the number of completed passes is a better indicator of whether your RAM is thoroughly tested or not. The default number of passes in MemTest86 is 4, which is sufficient for testing RAM in most systems. This will fully run the complete suite of memory testing algorithms on all testable memory ranges.

However, users may wish to run MemTest86 for longer to test their RAM for intermittent changes in environment, such as overheating or electromagnetic interference. In this case, it may be a good idea to increase the number of passes to increase the test time.

Comment

Working...
        X