Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit in Error Mask

Hello,
    I am troubleshooting an x86 board I have designed that has some memory issues. In particular I found that the test that seems to always fail si test 6; block move. I have some doubt about the layout ad we follow non standard stackup. My question is: the "bit in error mask" is 32 bit wide. While the hardware interface is 64. So how can I relate the bit iin error with the physical strips to verify in deeper details ? Each board I testes it shows errors with bit mask: 0x26000000 o 0x06000000 0r 0x04000000.
    I thank you very much.
    Regards.

Marco Bisio

Which version of MemTest86 are you using?

Can you post a screencapture, or the MemTest86.log file if running MemTest86 v6.

To determine the failing module requires knowing how the memory controller maps the failing memory address to the physical RAM module. In many cases, the decoding scheme details are not revealed publicly by the vendor. So you would need to test each RAM module one-by-one to determine the faulty module.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
      Which version of MemTest86 are you using?

Can you post a screencapture, or the MemTest86.log file if running MemTest86 v6.

To determine the failing module requires knowing how the memory controller maps the failing memory address to the physical RAM module. In many cases, the decoding scheme details are not revealed publicly by the vendor. So you would need to test each RAM module one-by-one to determine the faulty module.

Thank you for your reply. I am using version 4.3.7 as it starts automatically even if a burn a ver. 6 image. I have only one sodimm module on the board, so I have no doubt about which module is faulty. I design the board myself and I suspect to have some layout issues on the pcb I am trying to address and fix. If I set a slower frequency, everythings works fine. I can ask the guys who design the layout of the pcb to fine test the faulty lines. I have run memtest on different boards and all of them reports "Bits in Error Mask: 26000000" with different numbers of error after about 300 iteration of the test. So, if I correctly understand, bit 29, 26, 25 are faulty. But upper 32 bits or lower ? I mean: are we speaking about bits 29, 26, 25 or 61, 58, 57 ?
      Thank you for your support.

Marco Bisio

Comment

MemTest86 v4 runs in 32-bit mode so all memory accesses are in 32-bit words.

Comment

Working...
        X