RAM overheating prevention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM overheating prevention?

Using memtest86 on my laptop and watched the temp of my ram reach 95 C at which point I paused the test by hitting escape. I'm just wondering if memtest86 will prevent ram from overheating?

MemTest86 can report on the RAM temperature (if the RAM & motherboard supports it).
    It doesn't make any attempt to throttle the testing however based on the temperature.

Typical max temp for PC RAM (the manufacturers specification) is 95C. So anything around this level is bad.
    There are some special type of RAM however e.g. for automotive use, that is spec'ed to 105C.

Laptop might not be very well designed from a cooling point of view if you are hitting those temps. There is real world software that loads a machine (CPU, GPU, Disk & RAM) more than MemTest86.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      MemTest86 can report on the RAM temperature (if the RAM & motherboard supports it).
      It doesn't make any attempt to throttle the testing however based on the temperature.

Typical max temp for PC RAM (the manufacturers specification) is 95C. So anything around this level is bad.
      There are some special type of RAM however e.g. for automotive use, that is spec'ed to 105C.

Laptop might not be very well designed from a cooling point of view if you are hitting those temps. There is real world software that loads a machine (CPU, GPU, Disk & RAM) more than MemTest86.
      I have to sit and watch it and pause it when it starts to get into the 90s.

What do you mean about real world software? Are you saying there is other software I should be using other than memtest?

Comment

No, I am saying that if the RAM overheats with MemTest86, then it will surely overheat in general use as well (with real life software). i.e. the laptop is badly designed, or you are running a bad power / fan cooling profile in BIOS.

Comment

Working...
        X