Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can memtest86 errors be caused by a virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can memtest86 errors be caused by a virus?

I was having issues with my PC that pointed to potential memory problems, so I decided to run memtest86. I originally ran Windows Memory Diagostic and found hardware errors with both sticks individually and in different motherboard slots. Memtest86 gave over 3K errors and the tests failed because of so many errors. I am still under warranty at Microcenter so I took it in yesterday to have them get to the bottom of the issue (RAM, motherboard, etc) and replace any faulty parts.

Their tech just texted me saying that it's likely a virus. They said the unit passed all OCCT Benchmark and Stress tests and the drive health is 98%. Said they found a virus and 40 possible spyware threats. They swapped out the memory and still had the same problem, so they say it's probably a virus causing the issue.

My understanding was that since memtest86 runs from a boot drive, the likelihood that a virus would affect the test is very low. Am I right on this? How should I proceed with Microcenter? They are saying they are going to do a fresh Windows 10 install on a test drive to confirm. They are quoting me $100 to remove the virus.

My warranty ends June 12th, and I'm worried they are trying to get out of this without having to replace anything under warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

since memtest86 runs from a boot drive, the likelihood that a virus would affect the test is very low. Am I right on this?
    Yes, you are correct. Extremely unlikely to be a virus that causes RAM errors. Virus would need to be in the BIOS firmware also also bypass secure boot code signing. I am assuming Secure boot is turned on in BIOS.

Also for what possible reason would a firmware virus want to cause RAM errors? Encrypt the hard drive for a Bitcoin ransom I could understand, but why RAM errors???? Doesn't make sense.

Did they really replace the RAM? Was new RAM from the same vendor?
    I would trying turning off XMP next and make sure the CPU isn't overclocked (or thermal / power limits set too high),

Comment

Working...
    X