Help with MemTest results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with MemTest results

I've been having problems with random BSODs lately, and I finally got around to running MemTest86. I ran four passes of the first 9 tests, all on core 0, and I did indeed get errors.

The errors aren't what I expected though. I was expecting to see certain memory addresses throwing errors in multiple passes, probably with different data. Instead there were different addresses throwing the same two errors in each pass, and I don't think any one address showed an error more than once. Most of the errors were during test 7 [Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern]. Most of these had the expected value 00000080, and the actual value of 20000080. The others were expected: 00000002, actual: 10000002.
    The remaining few errors were in test 8, one error each on the 1st, 3rd, and 4th passes, different addresses, different data.

So, what I'm wondering is, are these errors indicative of something besides bad RAM? They're just so consistent in what seems like the wrong way... I really hope someone can help me with this. I also hope dropbox is an acceptable way to share the test log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppvl91u0jp...est86.log?dl=0

Thank you, anyone who reads this.

The errors are single bit errors, which is typical of ram fault.

There probably is a pattern in the addresses as well, but the mapping between addresses and the actual chips on the sticks and address lines is complex. That is to say 1 faulty RAM chip might cause errors across a broad range of addresses.

Comment

Thanks for your replay, David!

After reading it, I proceeded with testing my ram in pairs, to see which pair was faulty. Both pairs passed completely. I tested the other slots too, and there were no errors.

Seems like my two pairs don't work well together. I got them at different times, although I made sure they had the same ratings for latency, speed, and voltage. I guess that wasn't enough. I'm just going to use one pair for now, and get a new 16GB pair later.

Thanks for your help, and for making such a useful product!

Comment

Working...
      X