Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 5 unable to use multi-processor for memtest86

Hello!

I am in the process of preparing several raspberry pi 5's for deployment over the next few months. I always use memtest86 to validate new hardware before deployment, and I was pleased to see that I can run it on Pi's as well (who knows when you'll get something with bad ram?)

Initially I was using it on 10.7, where it was unable to use multi-processor. After I saw the 11.0 update notes, I was pleased to see preliminary multi-processor support for ARM64 was added as it could help shave off a lot of time these pi's sit testing.

Sadly, it still fails to use multi-processor citing the same error as 10.7 - "[UEFI Firmware Error] Could not start CPU 1". I have attached the log.

In order to boot UEFI based operating systems, RPI requires a third party UEFI, found here: GitHub - worproject/rpi5-uefi: EDK2 firmware images for Raspberry Pi 5
    Other operating systems booting from this UEFI are able to access and use all 4 processors, so I don't think it's an issue with the UEFI itself, although I cannot fully rule it out.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Does V11 run OK with 1 thread active?

The ARM / UEFI multi-threading testing we did was more focused on the newer ARM Surface Laptops (the older ARM laptops also didn't support threading).

We'll take a look at the log.

Comment

Yeah, by default it runs in single core mode and it runs normally.

Comment

Thanks for the logs.

2024-03-16 03:44:52 - Testing MP support
        2024-03-16 03:44:52 - MPSupportTestMPServices - AP dispatch test
        2024-03-16 03:44:52 - MPSupportTestMPServices - Starting AP#1
        2024-03-16 03:44:52 - MPSupportTestMPServices - Could not start AP#1 (Unsupported).
        2024-03-16 03:44:52 - MPSupportTestMPServices - Waiting for AP's to complete execution
        2024-03-16 03:44:52 - MPSupportTestMPServices - AP dispatch test complete
        2024-03-16 03:44:52 - MP test failed. Setting default CPU mode to SINGLE
        It appears that this particular UEFI implementation doesn't fully support multiprocessing when running in the UEFI pre-boot environment. Note that this is does not affect the multiprocessing behaviour after the O/S boots, where it is no longer runner in the UEFI pre-boot environment.

So until there is updated firmware that supports multiprocessing, only single CPU mode is available.

Comment

I'll take a look at the UEFI implementation and see if anything can be done. Thanks for the expert diagnosis!

Comment

Working...
          X