2020 iMac - 10core i9 - Error when booting to Memtest USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 iMac - 10core i9 - Error when booting to Memtest USB stick

It's been a long while since I last contributed to this forum. My 2020 iMac has had these nagging system stability issues for quite some years that I just dealt with. After a 3-month chaos with OWC ram at purchase, I switched to Crucial RAM (128GB) which has worked flawlessly up until macOS Monterey. Ever since MacOS Ventura, I was unable to do any MacOS upgrades/patches unless I remove all Crucial RAM and re-install the OEM Mac RAM (2x4GB). It has gotten progressively worse with macOS Sonoma. I still have to remove the Crucial RAM in order to do MacOS updates, but now randomly my machine will crash/shutdown behaving the exact same way (freeze, Fans full speed for 1 second, then shutdown) as when I was using the OWC RAM modules.

My iMac will run perfectly with OEM RAM. I know something changed with Apple's firmware. I tried doing a macOS Monterey reinstall, and then a prompt came up that Apple needed to apply some firmware updates, and after it completed, I was unable to boot from my MacOS USB stick unless I re-installed my OEM RAM. So something changed.

I'd like to run MEMTEST just to see what it comes up with. I have never ran it when I used Crucial RAM. With the same behaviors now, I'd like to see what's going on.

So that's my history. Now... I have a bootable USB stick as per the installation instructions. I'm all good there.

When I attempt to boot off the USB stick, two issues arise:
    1 - I get two instances of "NO NAME" USB boot drives when I attempt to boot (option key) at iMac restart. Both instances produce the next error.
    2 - It attempts to load. About halfway into the boot, I get the message "This version of MacOS on the selected disk needs to be re-installed".

Has anyone had this issue, and if so how did you resolve it? I just reinstalled macOS Sonoma earlier today before trying Memtest. So I find it odd to get this error when I'm trying to run MEMTEST outside of booting MacOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2020 iMac - 10-core i9 - 128GB RAM (Crucial) - 8TB SSD - MacOS Sonoma

You might need to use the Apple "Startup Security Utility" to allow booting from external media and turn off the requirements for the boot media to be Apple OS.
    See,
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/102522

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      You might need to use the Apple "Startup Security Utility" to allow booting from external media and turn off the requirements for the boot media to be Apple OS.
      See,
      https://support.apple.com/en-us/102522
      I apologize. I should have been more detailed. That's the first thing I did before starting all this. I can boot from USB devices. I also formatted the USB to FAT32 since I couldn't install Memtest86 on the USB stick without that being done first.

The only thing I'm not certain about is your remark about the turning off requirements for the boot media to be AppleOS. Can you be more specific? As I mentioned above, the USB stick is not formatted for APFS or MacOS Journaled. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for writing back!

Comment

I also formatted the USB to FAT32 since I couldn't install Memtest86 on the USB stick without that being done first.
        This is not required, as the install process completely wipes the drive, including all formatting.
        This makes me suspect you might not have followed the correct Mac/Linux install process.
        Does the USB drive in question boot on a Windows machine?

Comment

Working...
        X