Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram problem.

Not a memtest problem as such.

A recent secondhand motherboard, cpu, ram I bought works fine, but for a memory issue.

It has 2 stick of 4gb ram. If you run Memtest, which is an option on the boot menu, if it posted with

4GB of ram Memtest will show it as having 4GB of ram, but it also shows each bank as having a 4GB

stick in it. It will only test the ram that was posted. If you boot linux with 4GB of posted ram you only
    have the 4GB of ram available, if it posted 8GB it will run with 8GB. The pc will run fine.

If you watch the post screen and when it only shows 4GB or ram you hit ctl,salt,del until post eventually
    shows 8GB- this might be the second time you try or the 20th- you can run memtest and it will show 2 banks of 4GB, as before, but now it will test all 8GB[no errors]. When it's posted 8gb you can boot the pc
    and it will boot and run with 8gb and you can use it.

I don't have any substitution bit's, which is the obvious way to find what's wrong.
    The bios was reset to factory, I have manually set all the ram settings, I tried upping the ram voltage,

it's still the same. The ram has been reseated, each bit has been run independently and run in each slot.

Any ideas?

See if there is a BIOS upgrade available.
    Are the ram sticks the same model & speeds?
    I assume it is DDR3 desktop RAM?
    As 4GB of RAM is about $20, it isn't worth spending too much time on it if you think it is a bad stick.

Comment

Working...
    X