Memtest result explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest result explanation

Hi, I am trying to understand a few things about memtest so I can decide what to do with this hardware.

Story is I have this old PC I build many years ago, it barely got used so except for it's age it's in very good condition. The HD has 2k hours of use so far and is an old IDE Maxtor just for example.
    I was updating Lubuntu and ofc it failed, then I had a bunch of trouble to load USB boots etc, after 1 H of trouble shooting I ran memtest to see if it had any errors and for testing stability.
    The ram module reported 1 bit error on test #8 but it cleared all the other test. The memtest version is the lubuntu 22.04 version, I haven't look it up to confirm.

In any case here is the Question, why is there no errors in the other test ?
    I would assume the RAM would produce error in more then 1 test.

Just some more info, I ran the memtest I have on an old Hyren's CD v15.xx memtest on that cd is 4.20, some people report that version of memtest is corrupt, yet it ran all night on my system and pass with 0 errors.

Hardware : Asus M4A78 Pro, Athlon X2 7750, Kington DDR2-800 4GB, Maxtor 40gb IDE, Using AGP ATI/AMD card forgot the number.

The memtest version is the lubuntu 22.04 version
    ...old Hyren's CD v15.xx memtest
    We've got no idea what version were included in these packages.
    There were also several different forks of MemTest86. So what you have might not even be our software.

Anyway the final release that worked with old style BIOS was V4.3.7. You can find the download at the bottom of this page
    https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
    As far as we know this final V4 release is "bug free". At least free from major bugs. So no false positives.

See this page about why memory errors might not be as consistent as you expect
    https://www.memtest86.com/troublesho...htm#consistent

Comment

Working...
    X