testing RAM in Dell PowerEdge R610

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing RAM in Dell PowerEdge R610

Hi Everyone,I am testing a bunch of RAM in a Dell PowerEdge R610.When I stick RAM in without confirming first with the manual sometimes the R610 boots and indicates that for optimal memory configuration please consult the manual.If I don't install the memory in an "optimally" configured state will MemTest86 still work?After putting 14GB of RAM in, MemTest86 does see all 14GB.Thank you!

It should still work and see all the RAM. This is the way it works for most other PCs.

But who really knows what is programmed into the Dell BIOS. If they block certain configurations in BIOS then the boot process might not proceed very far at all.

Comment

Thank you.

During the boot, I believe that the on screen messages indicated the memory was not configured optimally; and that I should consult the manual to resolve. I did not do that. I let the server boot off the MemTest86 CD.

MemTest86 saw all 14GB of the installed memory. I will return to the office tomorrow.

I believe if the result is that the pass "passed" then all is well.

Thank you.

Comment

Optimal memory configurations in this sense normally mean putting the RAM into the correct slots.

Slots are often paired into 'dual channels' which gives a slight performance increase. Some machines even have tri or quad channels for their RAM.

Ideally you would test the RAM with MemTest86 in the same configuration and same slots that you are planning to use them in real life.

Comment

Working...
        X