Ram or Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram or Motherboard

Hoping for some insight from someone with more knowledge than I. I have been having Bsods ever since I built this pc although only ever when I was running one operation in a specific program (Maxwell render - Fire engine). Tried updating the usual suspects (drivers etc) then ran Memtest 86 and got errors (lots of) only in the Hammer test. Tested each single module in every ram slot. Same result. Thought it unlikely that it was all sticks of Ram faulty so swapped out the power supply (Antec 550 gold for Antec 650 gold). No change. Sent motherboard and cpu away under warranty. Mb came back 'repaired'. Cpu sent back - claimed all was fine. Rebuilt. BSOD. Worse. Tried to do a bios update via the motherboard tool. Crash straight away.

Question is - is this likely to be a Ram issue or should I still believe the most likely culprit is the MB.

Current build is MB - AS Rock Z97 extreme 4, Samsung 840 evo ssd, Intel 4790k, 32gig Hyper fury x 1866 (tested all modules individually in every slot), Gainward GTX phantom 970.

open to suggestion.

See this page for details of RAM hammer errors and what they mean.
    http://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm#hammer

RAM hammer errors are more of a design flaw, than a one off defect, so it isn't unusual to see multiple sticks of the same model effected.

Try increasing the timings for the RAM (running it slower). Or just replace the RAM.

But BSOD can also be software faults. So you should examine the details of the BSOD to determine the most likely cause.

Comment

Working...
    X