Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck running test..or not?

Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing some weird issues on my new PC which I personally mounted, and I think it might be a faulty RAM memory. Windows 10 recently installed, no weird software, but when playing video games, or editing video, there is 2 scenarios: 1. It will cut the power off intermediately and auto reboot (no blue screen or anything it literally just switch it self off like doing a hard reset), 2. Screen freezes out, so I have to hard reset the computer my self. I think it could also be a Graphics card issue, but as I have to start testing something, I decided the ram memory. It is definitely not a over heating problem, the CPU runs on 32C and the graphic card is running on normal numbers too, the air coming out of the PC is fairly cold.

I decided to run Passmark memtest86 on my computer (16gb ddr3 2933 mhz) and after a few hours running, it SEEMS to be stuck on the second pass 24%. The reason for me to think it got stuck is because nothing is moving, not even the \|/ thing, and it is been there for quite a while.

It is as well running on one core (it is a i7 processor) so I would like to test it if possible on multi-core, if it is recommended. It will low down the testing time. Would you please let me know how to enable the multi core test?

Thanks
    Kind regards
    Last edited by colocoquillo; Mar-08-2016, 02:40 PM. Reason: spell check

Hi everyone,

I have doubt now.

Whilst I was running an 8 core CPU test on my ram (I manage to find how to do so) I suddenly thought.. what if I did not enabled the X.M.P. on my bios (which i highly doubted it, but you never know) so I went into the BIOS and the X.M.P. was enabled BUT!!! i noticed that by mistake when i configured it for first time I put 2991 INSTEAD OF 2931 which is the actual DDR3 RAM stick speed i bought. As there is no 2931 option on my BIOS, i left it on 2853, which is the closest, and if im not mistaking that will work with no problem, just that im not squeezing all the power of the RAM.

So now the question goes on.. Could this have been my problems with the RAM? could this be te reason why memtest86 got stucked the first time? Could this possibly have damage my RAM memory?

At the moment i just left the memtest86 running with the new config, and i will share with you the results once it is finished (if it does not get stuck).

Thanks
    Kind regards

Comment

Initially I would suggest just picking Auto config for the RAM in BIOS. If the RAM and motherboard support XMP, then there is normally two 'profiles' to pick from. I am not sure if that is what you did, or if you went through a manually set some of the parameters.

Then only change it from the auto settings if you are interested in overclocking or the auto setting results in something being picked that is grossly wrong.

Yes, overclocking the RAM can result in lockups.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
        Initially I would suggest just picking Auto config for the RAM in BIOS. If the RAM and motherboard support XMP, then there is normally two 'profiles' to pick from. I am not sure if that is what you did, or if you went through a manually set some of the parameters.

Then only change it from the auto settings if you are interested in overclocking or the auto setting results in something being picked that is grossly wrong.
        Hi David,

Yes, as you mention it does have the X.M.P. profile, which I enabled, the only problem doing so is that if i leave the frequency in auto, it will detect them as 1666mhz so I manually selected 2853 (even if my memory is 2931, as there is not such possibility). Test went through, with no errors, and i restarted the computer and have been playing for all afternoon long yesterday. The power off problem use to happen nearly every day, so I will wait another 48h just in case to see if it has fixed the problem.

Thanks for answering my question
        Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
        Yes, overclocking the RAM can result in lockups.
        And by the way just so you know, I did not receive a notification email (not even on spam folder) when you answered this post, I came just to see if for any luck i got answered.. just saying so you can take a look at your web.

Nice software this Memtest86, pretty straight forward, easy to use and effective. The only "criticism" I would do is for less experienced users, you might recommend on the download page a software to burn the iso file into a bootable pendrive. I have used Rufus, easy, free, and hassle free.

Thanks
        Kind regards

Comment

you might recommend on the download page a software to burn the iso file into a bootable pendrive.

No 3rd party software is required. All the tools are included in the download package and if you are using a Pendrive, then you shouldn't be downloading the ISO. you should instead be downloading the .ZIP package.

Comment

Working...
          X