Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 - automatic repair after memtest session - memory faulty or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 - automatic repair after memtest session - memory faulty or not?

Hello.Everytime i restarting Windows 10 by button RESTART from START in next boot i have Automatic Repair. On next boot i am able to boot fine to Windows 10. Event viewer showing that system was not closed properly, but it was closed properly. It's a bit weird that it reboots twice and then get's through...Any ideas? It can be hardware or more software/bios?

Where can be issue? SOftware or hardware related?

Problem started after memtest86 session bootable from USB .After finished memtest86 test i change in my UEFI boot priority from :"UEFI USB KINGSTON" to "P1 SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB ( MBR partition )".

System is installed and formatted on MBR partition. So i guess its on LEGACY MODE. So i dont have boot manager SSD Samsung 250 EVO in UEFI. Only have P1: SSD Samsung Evo 250 GB like on screen:

Memtest86 not showing errors. SDD SMART is fine too.

Maybe something with UEFI and boot of my SSD which is MBR? Or that doesnt matter?

So it was hardware or more software issue or bios issue?

And it happened just after my finished memtest86 session. So its only coincidence that happened after memtest86 session or not? Thx

Cpu : 4790k stock good temps
    Ram: 2x8gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx
    Psu: Corsair 750 RM
    Mb: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2 UEFI
    SSD: Samsung Evo 250 GB

My disk is Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD. I run HD TUNE but no errors and CrystalDiskInfo Smart is fine 100% GOOD. Memtest86 not showing errors.
    Last edited by sew999; Apr-11-2016, 08:23 PM.

MemTest86 doesn't write to the hard drive, and whatever is in RAM is cleared out on each reboot.

So it is hard to imagine any mechanism by which running MemTest86 would lead to Windows needing to repair itself.

MBR is old now. There aren't many reasons to stick with it. GPT (GUID Partition Table) handles larger drives and has some redundancy and extra checksums.

You need UEFI to boot from a GPT drive. But UEFI can also boot from a MBR disk. So this in itself shouldn't make Windows think that it needs to repair itself.

Comment

So what you think why it get to Automatic Repair state? It is related to memtest86 or my UEFI or that doesnt matteR? Somebody said to me that was caused because i switch from UEFI device ( UEFI USB KINGSTON ) to non UEFI device ( P1:Samsung Evo 250 GB ).

I also meet some guy on other forum that he getting AUTOMATIC REPAIR after memtest sessions.He said this:"This is strange as it happened to my pc. When I upgraded my RAM I ran memtest without error, after reboot Automatiic repair started."

What you think? Maybe memtest86 usb write a little to hard drive or definitely not?
      Last edited by sew999; Apr-12-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

MemTest86 doesn't write to the hard drive.

So more likely it is a result of changes you have made in BIOS.

For example this post lists boot order change to "Windows Boot Manager" as one cause of the automatic repair.
        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...47d32fd?auth=1

Comment

Working...
        X