No announcement yet.

Screen gone dark, MemTest sounds like running, can't get screen to come back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen gone dark, MemTest sounds like running, can't get screen to come back

Hey All,

Self-built i5 with 16GB RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1. System is circa-2009, AMD Radeon 5700 video card, 3 new fans in case within last month, just upgraded to SSD hard drive in last three months.

Have gotten random BSODs, one of which error said possible RAM, others which suggested drivers, specifically video drivers. Updated the video drivers, did a search for RAM test, found MemTest.

Downloaded to USB, started test, all was kosher until screen went dark and got the "No Signal" error; now test SOUNDS like it has been running for hours, but I can't get the screen to wake up, no matter if I use Keyboard, mouse or turn monitor on or off.

Can't see test results, can't tell if RAM is bad, nada.

What do I do? Keyboard and mouse are Logitech USB wireless connected via hub.

Please advise - I have mucho work to do

Thanks.

Bill

MemTest86 doesn't include a screen saver. So it might be a fault with the video card. How long did it run for before the screen went blank?

If you are using V6 of MemTest86, there is a log file written to the USB drive.

A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v6 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.

You might also want to see if there is any newer BIOS available.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      MemTest86 doesn't include a screen saver. So it might be a fault with the video card. How long did it run for before the screen went blank?

If you are using V6 of MemTest86, there is a log file written to the USB drive.

A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v6 is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition.

You might also want to see if there is any newer BIOS available.
      It went into screensaver mode in about the normal time it usually does; problem is it won't come out.

It's been almost 24 hours, sounds like test/processor is still running, still can't get the screen to come back; do I kill the power, take out USB drive and reboot?

Comment

do I kill the power, take out USB drive and reboot?
        Yes. Stop it.

There shouldn't be any screen saver in BIOS or MemTest86.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          Yes. Stop it.

There shouldn't be any screen saver in BIOS or MemTest86.
          Roger that - then what? Assume the video card is the culprit?

I was thinking of doing an upgrade anyway - motherboard, processor, memory - can always add a video card, too

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X