Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something weird is happening

Hi there,

so since a couple of days I get random Bluescreens. They haven't been that bad at first, I only got an occassional crash but lately they seem to get worse. The bluescreen message is ALWAYS page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.

So after a quick Google search, people suggested it may be the RAM. So I ran memtest and got in all 99 errors, only during test 7 and test 8. (8 passes)

So at first I thought it was a broken RAM stick. Thats when I tried them one after the other. However I didn't get any errors. That's when I tried the RAM in every single DIMM. No errors. So I thought it may be only happen when I try them together. So I put both RAMs in at the same time. First on Slot 1 and 2 (the two on the left which have two different colours) and than in 2 and 4 (the second and fourth from the left, same color). No errors.

What I haven't tried is putting it back on the way it used to be for three years and which got me the 99 problems (insert Jay-Z joke here) when I ran it at first.

So frankly I don't know what the heck is going on. I included a picture of the first memtest with the errors.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 30-04-16 10 44 40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	35282

Some follow-up (sorry for the last wrong post).

After I put them back on the way they used to be for a couple of years and the way they were when I got my first 99 errors after 8 passes, I can tell you that I got two errors again, this time in test 9 though.

So what I found out: I only get errors when I insert the two sticks in the first from the left and the third one at the same time, so that they are in slots with the very same colour (blue btw). No matter what other option I try, I do not get any errors. Both sticks alone in every slot and even together in other slots doesn't give me problems.

So I assume my motherboard is causing these problems? What solutions do you suggest?

(P.S: I plan to upgrade my whole PC with the introduction of Nvidia Pascal. I do not plan to change anything for the time being.)

Comment

You didn't mention what CPU & motherboard you are using, but most machines support dual channel RAM. Meaning the access pattern is very different when two sticks are used compared to using just a single stick.

So it is totally believable that you only get errors in dual channel mode.

I would still think that it might be bad RAM and if you had spare RAM to try out I would do that.

You might be able to reduce the RAM clock speed in BIOS and get it stable if you didn't want to change the RAM or motherboard yet.

Comment

Oi, sorry. I'm using a Intel 3570k and MSI Z77A-G43 Z77 RG SA. It used to run fine for the past couple of years but now it just keeps giving me bluescreens with the same page_fault error message.

I just ordered a new RAM stick. (1x8GB in case it really is a dual channel problem.)

Comment

Working...
        X